How long should a cover letter be?

Doing a cover letter to compliment my CV. I don't have the job title experience for the role, but can demonstrate the skills needed through other roles and volunteering.

I'm worried if the letter is too long, they won't have the time to read it due to the number of applications they are bound to get.

Two pages enough, three too much? More or less...thoughts?

1 page, 3 (max 4) short paragraphs. Keep it simple (simple words, short sentences) and concise. 'Give' just enough that they can understand where you're at, but likely be interested in asking for more info at an interview (make them interested and curious) :)

Don't click on that, he's spamming it to multiple threads.

Don't click on that, he's spamming it to multiple threads.

Don't click on what? Has your account been hijacked?

I'd say same as Loob, 1 page max 3 or 4 paragraphs - no waffle or it will go straight in bin along with your CV

I never used to write more than a third of a page. I never duplicated anything in my CV. OP - you seem to be intending to write information which should be in your CV.

I would say why you want the role and briefly highlight the skills/ attributes you have that match that role. Possibly talk about the career path / training route you had as a plan to get to this point.

I'd say about a third of a page too. You want something short, easy to digest, and that leaves the reader suitably impressed and wanting to know more.

At the risk of sounding like the grammar Nazis, I'd suggest you look at the use of compliment versus complement if you intend using the word in your covering letter.

Sorry and good luck.

Doing a cover letter to compliment my CV. I don't have the job title experience for the role, but can demonstrate the skills needed through other roles and volunteering.

I'm worried if the letter is too long, they won't have the time to read it due to the number of applications they are bound to get.

Two pages enough, three too much? More or less...thoughts?

Couple of little points to help not criticise, as has been said it's complement not compliment. You don't need a comma after role as but is a conjunction or after long and always write Curriculum Vitae out in full.

If you are starting a new paragraph always leave a line space between them.

Hope you get what you are looking for. :)

I tend to do :-

3 or 4 paragraph covering letter

1 Page CV summary detailing all relevant experience

Full CV dated most recent to oldest

People can then drill down into the detail if their interest is awakened

Don't click on what? Has your account been hijacked?

No, the posts were deleted after I reported them.