Why do woman have more mental health issues?

Just curious, I have in the past blamed men, the likes of Jimmy Saville. Maybe its just in their DNA, or is the parents fault.

Who said they did?

jb

Clinical psychologist at Oxford University.

Clinical psychologist at Oxford University.

Evidence?

jb

Firstly, when you refer to 'more mental health issues', what exactly do you mean? That they have more mental health issues than men? That they have more mental health issues than physical health issues? Or does the 'more' refer to something else completely?

Assuming, and I am only assuming, that you are suggesting that women experience more mental health issues than men: is that actually true? It may be; it may not. Do you have any evidence to support your assertion?

Thirdly, I don't think it's a case of blame. Mental health issues arise as a result of a myriad of factors: searching for someone to blame would appear fruitless. Time would be better spent supporting those with mental health issues.

S x

I'm interested in this thread. I did hear from somewhere that mental health issues are found more in ethnic minorities etc don't know about the gender thing

Do they have more or are they just more honest about them when they occur?

I'm interested in this thread. I did hear from somewhere that mental health issues are found more in ethnic minorities etc don't know about the gender thing

Gender is correlated with the prevalence of certain mental disorders, including depression, anxiety and somatic complaints. Major depression is twice as common in women.

I suffer from anxiety/stress myself, just curious.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/may/22/women-men-mental-illness-study

From what I gather, the experience of being vulnerable in an alien culture where you don't understand the language can be incredibly stressful, and stress is a major precipitator of mental health difficulties.

That can apply to any nationality or any race. Clearly if you've come from a background where you've seen your family murdered and your community destroyed, the likelihood of trauma is greater.

With regards to gender issues I'm not so sure. Clearly post natal depression or psychosis is an issue that women face, but men don't.

I have heard that women are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide than men, but more men actually kill themselves than women due to difference in suicide method used.

In general women are more likely to talk to their friends and doctor about their mental health issues than men. This is cultural - men are encouraged to keep a stiff upper lip, and women are encouraged to share their feelings....Hopefully we can encourage more men to be open.

Jude Law, where woman are able to check on their new boyfriends with the police.

I was wondering if there wa a law allowing males to check up on their female girlfriends ;)

Are there no females unable to let go?

Why do woman have more mental health issues?

Because they have to live with men, obviously :roll:

It's because the nerve electricity things that carry msgs around our brains.... In men,.. Go forwards and backwards in the 2 halves of the brain.... Women however,their nerve electricity things that carry msgs go from left to right across the 2 parts of the brain....

With men,this effect give them straight forward ,practical,no nonsense forward direct desision making minds.... Women however,use both side of the brain which make them better at multi tasking,however,things get very much over engineered and complex in the female mind with using both sides of the brain left to right,thus resulting in irrational behaviour,outragous outburst,confusion and ultimately meltdown..... This is why women are more susceptible to mental health issues.

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 21:13 ----------

That makes sence...

Edited by notepad
Edit