Katie price and taxpayer funded travel costs

There has been a huge sea change in attitudes towards claiming since I was young in the 60s. At 15 I left school and went to business college, where the only benefit available was a bus pass. My parents, like others I knew, didn't apply. My father was adamant that benefits were for people who actually needed them. He died getting ready for work in 1963, I sometimes wonder what he'd have made of people like Katie Price, a multi millionaire claiming for a taxi.

There has been a huge sea change in attitudes towards claiming since I was young in the 60s. At 15 I left school and went to business college, where the only benefit available was a bus pass. My parents, like others I knew, didn't apply. My father was adamant that benefits were for people who actually needed them. He died getting ready for work in 1963, I sometimes wonder what he'd have made of people like Katie Price, a multi millionaire claiming for a taxi.

Very true. To paraphrase a famous politician, nowadays people always seems to asking what can the country do for them, instead of what they can do for the country.

I was talking to a friend about potentially losing some of our child benefit, I wasn't bothered because I thought that if we couldn't raise our child on mine and my parters joint income then something would be seriously wrong. Their attitude was that they pay lots of tax and it's only right and proper that they get something back from the government.

I really cannot understand that point of view.

I am supportive of your post and agree with the majority but I have to take exception with the last line.

She is not "claiming for a taxi" for god sake. Her severely disabled dependant requires support because he cannot self travel. Just like every other disabled person the state will provide whatever financial, healthcare, educational or physical support they will need. It has not and should not ever be based upon what someone's parents has in the bank. Disability benefit to get them through their lives. There is no choice in the matter. Its not something they can decide they don't need any more. They don't suddenly get better and stop needing it. In this instance its a taxi service to a specific school.

The BENEFIT is for him. You know just like the one of the "people who actually need them"

This seeming resentment on forums, in the media and spouted by certain leaders against seemingly anyone and everyone with a slightly above average income is becoming very vicious and unnecessary. What's next?? People over xxxx income will be no longer about to walk on state funded pavements, use state funded hospitals, have their bins emptied by using state funded waste services....

They pay into the system just like the rest of us. Its unfortunate and difficult enough trying to raise a child with a severe disability and despite a wad in the bank, care and requirements never stop and will go well beyond any trickle payment of benefit. That applies to everyone in unfortunate enough to be in a similar circumstance rich or poor.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I am supportive of your post and agree with the majority but I have to take exception with the last line.

She is not "claiming for a taxi" for god sake. Her severely disabled dependant requires support because he cannot self travel. Just like every other disabled person the state will provide whatever financial, healthcare, educational or physical support they will need. It has not and should not ever be based upon what someone's parents has in the bank. Disability benefit to get them through their lives. There is no choice in the matter. Its not something they can decide they don't need any more. They don't suddenly get better and stop needing it. In this instance its a taxi service to a specific school.

The BENEFIT is for him. You know just like the one of the "people who actually need them"

This seeming resentment on forums, in the media and spouted by certain leaders against seemingly anyone and everyone with a slightly above average income is becoming very vicious and unnecessary. What's next?? People over xxxx income will be no longer about to walk on state funded pavements, use state funded hospitals, have their bins emptied by using state funded waste services....

They pay into the system just like the rest of us. Its unfortunate and difficult enough trying to raise a child with a severe disability and despite a wad in the bank, care and requirements never stop and will go well beyond any trickle payment of benefit. That applies to everyone in unfortunate enough to be in a similar circumstance rich or poor.

Where she lives is her choice, if she chooses to live somewhere that does not have a suitable school for her son then it is her choice. Most people would not have that choice so it would be right for the state to help, in her case she does have a choice and the funds to provide her son with everything he needs.

Most people don't have a choice of where to live?

Hate the woman, but if she's paid her taxes, she is entitled to the help.

Hate the woman, but if she's paid her taxes, she is entitled to the help.

I like the women and would agree if that applied to everyone, but it does not so I disagree. Saving prevent some people getting state benefits, they are expected to spend their saving before getting any state help even if they have paid millions into the system.

I like the women and would agree if that applied to everyone, but it does not so I disagree. Saving prevent some people getting state benefits, they are expected to spend their saving before getting any state help even if they have paid millions into the system.

You are talking about top up benefits and temporary benefits. Its not the same. Of course they should be means tested and of course there should be consideration to what assets/savings people had. Im sure if Katie Price wanted to apply for tax credits or housing benefit she would have the knock back.

We are talking about Disability Benefits. Disability benefits which are provided to people with life long chronic conditions. People who need support and assistance for the rest of their lives.

Not even in the same league.

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 18:50 ----------

Can we also get the record straight once and for all. I am sick of repeating it.

The benefit is not for Katie Price. Its for her son.

KP is not jumping into a taxi and getting the monies from taxpayers.

Its for Harvey. Specific monies for specific needs. Assessed, btw, each and every year by the social workers which surprise surprise is also capped/chopped/adjusted/removed as and when government decides.

Edited by ECCOnoob

You are talking about top up benefits and temporary benefits. Its not the same. Of course they should be means tested and of course there should be consideration to what assets/savings people had. Im sure if Katie Price wanted to apply for tax credits or housing benefit she would have the knock back.

We are talking about Disability Benefits. Disability benefits which are provided to people with life long chronic conditions. People who need support and assistance for the rest of their lives.

Not even in the same league.

I would prefer a system that treats all people equally, one in which no benefits are means tested or all benefits are means tested.

To me a non disable child living with parents on minimum wage needs more state help than a disabled child living with multimillionaire parents. Means testing simply means that the limited amount of money in government coffers goes to the people that need it the most.

Why is Katy Price entitled to this benefit then?

Can we also get the record straight once and for all. I am sick of repeating it.

The benefit is not for Katie Price. Its for her son.

If he did not get it she would pay for it, so in realty she is the one saving money by allowing the tax payer to foot the bill, she benefits from it by saving money, he does not benefits from it because she would pay anyway.

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 18:59 ----------

Why is Katy Price entitled to this benefit then?

Because the system says she is.

If he did not get it she would pay for it, so in realty she is the one saving money by allowing the tax payer to foot the bill, she benefits from it by saving money, he does not benefits from it because she would pay anyway.

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 18:59 ----------

Because the system says she is.

I wouldn't if she ever got her benefits stopped simply for being unemployed and forced to go hungry