Who are the most famous Sheffielders of all time..

Geoffrey Hillpig Smythe, unknown here but revered throughout South East Asia.

Michael Palin, Sean Bean, Joe Cocker, Dominic West.

Mrs L (actually from Mexborough) but was Madonnas baby sitter and well known throughout US due to TV appearances.

Jarvis Cocker

Charlie Peace

Donald Pleasance

Richard Caborn

Nick Clegg (soz he's not)

Clive Betts

Bobby Knutt

Marti Caine

Richard Hawley

Reginald Dixon

Edited by yorky15
got a bit wrong

The most famous Sheffielder's will never be named in any book,will never have a star out side the Town Hall , a plaque on their front wall.

They are the nameless thousands that time forgot all about.

They are Ida the buffer in her paper leggings and muck encrusted turban buffing away at the silver knives ,forks,and spoons destined for the more famous tables of the well to do.

Then maybe Ernest the furnace man ,feeding the roaring flames wrapped in sweat cloth and flame proof apron as he teems and ladles the liquid metals destined for a journey to the car, plane, weapon and a thousand other uses through out the World making all these manufacturers rich [and famous] beyond Ernest's imagination.

The Grinder and fettler bent over their wheels swallowing dust and fumes that put them in graves or made them shadows of their former self long before their time.

The furnace bricklayers whose art of building intricate kilns, chimney's, arches with joints between bricks so tight that not even the slightest weep or blowback from the searing heat would penetrate .

These are the most famous and are forgotten by all but those who knew and walked among them, they are the ones who made Sheffield famous through out the World.

Two with a long association with Sheffield.

Both political activists to reform conditions of the worker

Samuel Plimsoll ,he of the "Plimsoll Line" fame

James Montgomery.Montgomery Hall and a statue in the Cathedral grounds

The most famous Sheffielder's will never be named in any book,will never have a star out side the Town Hall , a plaque on their front wall.

They are Ida the buffer in her paper leggings and muck encrusted turban buffing away at the silver knives ,forks,and spoons destined for the more famous tables of the well to do.

Then maybe Ernest the furnace man ,feeding the roaring flames wrapped in sweat cloth and flame proof apron as he teems and ladles the liquid metals destined for a journey to the car, plane, weapon and a thousand other uses through out the World making all these manufacturers rich [and famous] beyond Ernest's imagination.

The Grinder and fettler bent over their wheels swallowing dust and fumes that put them in graves or made them shadows of their former self long before their time.

The furnace bricklayers whose art of building intricate kilns, chimney's, arches with joints between bricks so tight that not even the slightest weep or blowback from the searing heat would penetrate .

These are the most famous and are forgotten by all but those who knew and walked among them, they are the ones who made Sheffield famous through out the World.

Totally agree with the sentiment. This city was made world famous by people like this.

I'd go with this.:thumbsup:

Oh! Suppose I'd better add my younger brother (Clinton Woods) sweat, sacrifice, blood, well bashed nose and tears.:D

I'd go with this.:thumbsup:

Oh! Suppose I'd better add my younger brother (Clinton Woods) sweat, sacrifice, blood, well bashed nose and tears.:D

I have met Clinton while walking in Town when he was World champion he stopped and had a chat no aires and graces with him .

A proper Sheffielder .

I have met Clinton while walking in Town when he was World champion he stopped and had a chat no aires and graces with him .

A proper Sheffielder .

That's true cuttsie.

No flash Harry crap! And a good family man.

Gordon Banks

Peter Stringfellow

Herbert Chapman

Edited by stpetre
Addition

Edward Carpenter, 18th -19th : poet, anthologist (don't ask), philosopher.

Earliest LGBT activist. Although born in Hove he settled in Sheffield and met his partner here moving in together in the 1880's.

One of the founders of the Fabian Society and Labour Party.

I used to go to City Centre Reference library in the 1970s and ask for the Carpenter Collection. I presume the library will still have it