Who are the most famous Sheffielders of all time..

Surprised nobody mentioned Sebastian Coe or Paul Carrack, just saying.

Surprised nobody mentioned Sebastian Coe or Paul Carrack, just saying.

Sebastian Coe wasn't born there, had moved as a kid due to father's job. I think Paul Carrack would come under 'most famous Crookes residents' and we can all guess who would top that list.

Edited by stpetre
Addition

Sebastian Coe wasn't born there, had moved as a kid due to father's job. I think Paul Carrack would come under 'most famous Crookes residents' and we can all guess who would top that list.

lol; you got me twice get you back in September when the Blue Jays finish 15 games ahead of the Yanks.Of course you will respond by saying you hate baseball or you prefer the Mets LOL.

lol; you got me twice get you back in September when the Blue Jays finish 15 games ahead of the Yanks.Of course you will respond by saying you hate baseball or you prefer the Mets LOL.

"Baseball" is that rounders?

"Baseball" is that rounders?

Yes, minus the navy blue knickers

Yes, minus the navy blue knickers

I would have thought it a bit cold to play with no knickers in Toronto.

I would have thought it a bit cold to play with no knickers in Toronto.

LOL...However it is a summer game,and it can be as humid as heck in the summer months here, took me by surprise when I experienced my first summer here, many years ago. Saying all that baseball is probably the most over dressed summer sport around.Have a good one.

Surprised no one has mentioned Sir J Charles Clegg, Born in Sheffield 1850.

Played in the first England vs Scotland international 1872 and refereed the 1882 and 1892 FA cup finals.

Played for Sheffield club and the Wednesday.

First president of Sheffield and Hallamshire football Association and held the office until his death, 1887-1937.

Known as the Napoleon of football, a member of the FA Council from 1886 Chairman from 1890 and president from 1923 until his death in Sheffield on 26th of June 1937 at the age of 87.

The first man to be Knighted for services to football in 1927.

He was also chairman and later president of Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday, both at the same time......

Edited by grinder

I see Samuel Plimsoll put forward as a famous Sheffielder. Although he lived here he was born in London and came to Sheffield as a boy when his father took the post of Customs Officer.

I think the most public figure known internationally would be Joe Cocker or Sean Bean.

Jewel and Warriss.

Had their own radio shows and pantomimes.

Morecomb and Wise based themselves on Jewel and Warriss