Contents insurance advice.

Wonder If anyone can help.

My (slightly accident prone) other half was changing a light bulb on a dining chair. The light fitting sits just above our sofa.

Anyway (predictibly,) he slipped frank Spencer style and he landed feet first onto my sofa. He's seriously damaged my settee. The front strut feels wobbly and the cushion/seat has caved in. It's making a lovely creaky sound when sat on and not really usable.

I've checked my policy and we do have accidental damage so was going to make a claim.

Just wondering though. It's two matching 3 seaters I have and I know harveys have discontinued the style and fabric now. Therefore would the insurance only replace one sofa and leave me with two unmatched sofas or would they class the pair as damaged??

My (slightly accident prone) other half was changing a light bulb on a dining chair. The light fitting sits just above our sofa.

Anyway (predictibly,) he slipped frank Spencer style and he landed feet first onto my sofa. He's seriously damaged my settee. The front strut feels wobbly and the cushion/seat has caved in. It's making a lovely creaky sound when sat on and not really usable.

I've checked my policy and we do have accidental damage so was going to make a claim.

Just wondering though. It's two matching 3 seaters I have and I know harveys have discontinued the style and fabric now. Therefore would the insurance only replace one sofa and leave me with two unmatched sofas or would they class the pair as damaged??

They may just repair it

We had this problem years ago when one of my chairs was damaged, the company tried to tell us we could only replace the chair but hubby was having none of that!

We stuck to our guns and when the assessor came out had the same debate with him, but did get the what we wanted in the end. so don't be fobbed off.

They may just repair it

I suppose that's a possibility. Hopefully not though because the strength feels really compromised.

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 17:02 ----------

We had this problem years ago when one of my chairs was damaged, the company tried to tell us we could only replace the chair but hubby was having none of that!

We stuck to our guns and when the assessor came out had the same debate with him, but did get the what we wanted in the end. so don't be fobbed off.

Oh right. I won't let them fob me off then. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

............so if you broke a coloured bathroom sink, (given that you don't see coloured suites now) would you expect a full bathroom suite? Just a thought. You could always have a contrast colour for your sofa, if it is not repairable.

Be careful. Insurance works just fine until you make a claim and then try to renew your policy.

yeah and then you'll loose or reduce your no claims bonus. id be inclined to do a bit of negotiating in reverse and let them think they've got one over on you

My (slightly accident prone) other half was changing a light bulb on a dining chair.

Posh are what!

Light bulbs on your dining chairs.:)

Sorry....it just amused me.

Good luck with your claim.

There used to be specific mention of things considered part of a set or suite.

Pita I know but read the policy and exclusions fully before considering the claim.

I used the same argument for my teeth :hihi: I have four front crowns and when one broke in a car accident I argued that 14 years after they were fitted it would be impossible to get the right porcelain colour match so I needed them all replacing.

To be made whole (as you were before the accident) you would need a matching suite.

Like I had a matching suite of teeth :P