What a joke of a sentence for killing a child

The general consensus here seems to be that if someone loses their life ("I life sentence for the parents" as many people have said) then the perpetrator must also lose their life (in terms of prison). This just doesn't make any sense rationally, and is just the emotionally charged knee jerk response that you see on these threads.

The amount of remorse that the guy showed has to somewhat weigh in on the sentence. The reason we have prisons in civilised society is to rehabilitate and protect the public while rehabilitation is going on. If the perpetrator shows genuine remorse, reflection and acceptance of the gravity of what they have done, and the judge takes this as an indication as to whether the crime is likely to be repeated then the sentence should be reduced accordingly from whatever maximum set levy it starts at.

It's also worth adding that while driving without insurance is an offence, it didn't add to the likelihood of the accident occurring and should be treated as a separate offence and not included in a list of things the perpetrator did which led up to the accident happening.

Why do the PC brigade always favour the criminal over the victim?

Lets get this straight, knee jerk reaction? This moron high on drugs, no licence, no insurance makes the decision to get into what in effect is a loaded gun, drives at double the speed limit. Something was bound to happen. As for showing remorse, it took him nearly a week to hand himself in. The thing that added to the 'accident' was that he was off his face. Perhaps you would like to tell her parents that it's a knee jerk reaction. If you get in a vehicle under the circumstances he did the sentence should have been longer. Imagine if it was your daughter. Saying sorry won't bring her back or lessen the life sentence the idiot has given her parents.

You can do just as much damage with a cheap car as an expensive one...

In Manchester a few years ago the average price of car insurance for a young person was £5000. Are you telling me that on average, each young person was making £5000 worth of claims in a year?

The figures just don't add up unless you accept colossal profit margins.

---------- Post added 31-01-2015 at 07:30 ----------

Lets get this straight, knee jerk reaction? This moron high on drugs, no licence, no insurance makes the decision to get into what in effect is a loaded gun, drives at double the speed limit. Something was bound to happen. As for showing remorse, it took him nearly a week to hand himself in. The thing that added to the 'accident' was that he was off his face. Perhaps you would like to tell her parents that it's a knee jerk reaction. If you get in a vehicle under the circumstances he did the sentence should have been longer. Imagine if it was your daughter. Saying sorry won't bring her back or lessen the life sentence the idiot has given her parents.

Something wasn't bound to happen, and your deliberate use of inflammatory language (a car is not in effect a loaded gun?) doesn't make your point any stronger.

Not believing in mediaeval type sentencing and punishment does not equal siding with the criminal.

Also, what do you mean by high on drugs?

Edited by BarryRiley

I would bring back the Death penalty. We need stronger sentences. As I said earlier the sentences are to soft, not a deterrent.

---------- Post added 31-01-2015 at 06:06 ----------

Don't drink coffee. sorry

Do you drink tea? Or coca cola?

Have you ever had an aspirin/paracetamol /ibuprofen ?

Put down your pitchfork and blazing torch. Just because some people don't support stringing up someone who hasn't even committed murder doesn't mean they're on the killer's side.

Shows what a ridiculous sentence he got for killing a young girl with all his other offences when a man gets a few years less for sexually assaulting a horse.the scum should never walk free again.too many do gooders in this country and thats why its in the mess it is.

What's actually happened is manslaughter by gross negligence. It seems that this has been repackaged as death by dangerous driving. And death by dangerous driving is a shockingly poorly applied sentence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9636991/Third-of-drivers-who-kill-and-maim-avoid-jail.html

7.5 years is lenient. Add in that he'll be out in 4 years and its not IMO an acceptable sentence.

Maybe if the law worked properly jails would be a deterrent rather than overcrowded with folks serving short soft sentences.

Shows what a ridiculous sentence he got for killing a young girl with all his other offences when a man gets a few years less for sexually assaulting a horse.the scum should never walk free again.too many do gooders in this country and thats why its in the mess it is.

You seriously think a whole life tariff for an accident is the way forward with this? If that was the likely outcome then he would never have turned himself in. The family would not have been able to see ANY sort of justice done. And if the threat of a whole life term for an accident, what should be the punishment for a deliberate act of murder?

---------- Post added 31-01-2015 at 10:06 ----------

The reason we are a civilised country is that we do not have trial by pitchfork. The Baying mob doesn't get its way. There are well thought out and studied sentences for each and every crime.

---------- Post added 31-01-2015 at 10:14 ----------

What's actually happened is manslaughter by gross negligence. It seems that this has been repackaged as death by dangerous driving. And death by dangerous driving is a shockingly poorly applied sentence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9636991/Third-of-drivers-who-kill-and-maim-avoid-jail.html

7.5 years is lenient. Add in that he'll be out in 4 years and its not IMO an acceptable sentence.

Maybe if the law worked properly jails would be a deterrent rather than overcrowded with folks serving short soft sentences.

If you read the article you refer to the the sentence is actually quite harsh comparatively.

Here here. I'm with you !

Can you provide some sort of link/evidence to the horse story?

I would agree. The sentences here are to lenient. That's why there's no deterrent to stop people doing what he did. He chose to drive without the required documentation and over the speed limit and possibly under the influence of drugs.

The death penalty for death by dangerous driving? Wow.

I would bring back the Death penalty. We need stronger sentences. As I said earlier the sentences are to soft, not a deterrent.

Even the most basic of investigation into the death penalty and it's supposed deterrent effect will show you that what you are suggesting will not work.

"Something was bound to happen", not it wasn't. The vast, vast, vast, vast majority of incidences of speed/drink.drug driving causes no fatality whatsoever. I would be amazed if it was even 1 in 10,000 incidences that result in any incident whatsoever. It is claims like this that make your reaction a knee-jerk one.

He was very unlikely to be high on drugs, I explained this to you before. The high from cocaine lasts approximately 20-30 minutes max, that's why it is so moreish. So unless he sniffed cocaine within 30 minutes max of the collision, he was not high.

"Imagine it was your daughter", again I have explained to you why we should not do this. People suffering from a personal tragedy are hardly in the position to make a fair and objective decision.

The CPS, through their sentencing guideline actually say the sentence is a bit harsh, at the very top end of what he could have been given. I suggest that their opinion is more expert than yours.

Life sentence for causing death by dangerous driving?

It's refreshing to read that not everyone on Sheffieldforum is a knee-jerk reactionary arm-chair judge

I'm not just referring to this case in particular. I think the whole legal system needs reworking.

Charmer. See this previous post. don't just read what you want to read.