Benedict Cumberpatch and the 'c' word.

I see the excellently named Benedict Cumberpatch (or whatever) felt it necessary to offer an incredibly self flagellatory apology after being interviewed in America and discussing the barriers faced by actors from ethnic minorities, he referred to these people as "coloured". There was an 'online complaint' and a sugestion that this term will cause 'great offence' and here we are. A few weeks ago Lenny Henry when being interviewed re his editing of the 'Today' programme on Radio 4, repeatedly referred to people from ethnic minorities as "people of colour" (no complaint, no apology!). I'm a little confused as to the distinction, and where does one get updated on what terms are currently acceptable and which have now been relegated to the 'offensive' catagory?

Edited by beefface

Have always been confused by the term. Implies that white people are colourless :hihi:

Have always been confused by the term. Implies that white people are colourless :hihi:

Technically this is mostly true due to a lack of pigment in the skin. It's been a while since I did biology though :)

Technically this is mostly true due to a lack of pigment in the skin. It's been a while since I did biology though :)

So we should refer to white people as colourless?

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 13:42 ----------

"I bought my second hand TV from that colourless chap down ont manor" :hihi:

I really don't understand how it could be construed as offensive! To who? Why?....Ok it's not generally used today...Just a bit old fashioned...But the irony of the interview was that he was 'defending' black / coloured people, saying they don't get enough employment opportunities in the acting profession. He certainly wasn't being derogatory.

Anyway, is there a definitive definition of what constitutes a 'black' person? Cos there's all sorts of shades in between, which I wouldn't describe as being 'black'. Just like white people actually....I'm naturally dark skinned, but I'm not black...I'm not pasty white either.... :confused:

I really don't understand how it could be construed as offensive! To who? Why?....Ok it's not generally used today...Just a bit old fashioned...But the irony of the interview was that he was 'defending' black / coloured people, saying they don't get enough employment opportunities in the acting profession. He certainly wasn't being derogatory.

Anyway, is there a definitive definition of what constitutes a 'black' person? Cos there's all sorts of shades in between, which I wouldn't describe as being 'black'. Just like white people actually....I'm naturally dark skinned, but I'm not black...I'm not pasty white either.... :confused:

It's just seems to be fashionable these days to be "offended", usually on behalf of other people, who often aren't actually offended themselves :confused:

It's just seems to be fashionable these days to be "offended", usually on behalf of other people, who often aren't actually offended themselves :confused:

Spot on.:thumbsup:

I see the excellently named Benedict Cumberpatch (or whatever) felt it necessary to offer an incredibly self flagellating apology after being interviewed in America and discussing the barriers faced by actors from ethnic minorities, he referred to these people as "coloured". There was an 'online complaint' and a sugestion that this term will cause 'great offence' and here we are. A few weeks ago Lenny Henry when being interviewed re his editing of the 'Today' programme on Radio 4, repeatedly referred to people from ethnic minorities as "people of colour" (no complaint, no apology!). I'm a little confused as to the distinction, and where does one get updated on what terms are currently acceptable and which have now been relegated to the 'offensive' catagory?

Apparently it is De rigueur to say "people of colour" but a serious faux pas to say "coloured" (go figure). So because my make-up tells me I'm 'medium beige' if anyone calls me colourless I will immediately take to Twitter and Facebook to demand a grovelling public apology from the vile racist bigot who has insulted me.

So we should refer to white people as colourless?

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 13:42 ----------

"I bought my second hand TV from that colourless chap down ont manor" :hihi:

Not if it's Christa Ackroyd

I really don't understand how it could be construed as offensive! To who? Why?....

Bored out of touch white folk usually.

Bored out of touch white folk usually.

I used the word coloured once when describing a black person and my friend said black is the correct word to use as we are not coloured like a rainbow.

It is not only bored out of touch white folk who get offended by the word coloured.

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 21:24 ----------

My bold=

You don't look dark skinned on your avatar picture, is that really a pic of you? :suspect::hihi:

OMG! I am so confused now. I honestly thought 'coloured' was a perfectly acceptable word to describe a black person??? :confused:

I hope I've never unknowingly ever offended anyone by using this term. I feel bad now :(