Debt collectors rights

Had similar trouble with them. Bluffed their way past the secure entry of the apartments to bang on my door, then proceeded with the foot in the door as soon as it was opened.

No apology from them when they found out the person they wanted had moved on several months previously.

Theres just been somewhat of a curfuffle at one of my neighbours house and as she lives alone i decided to go round. Some thugish looking bloke from a company called Scottcall or something was harassing this women for a debt she said shedidnt owe.This man was bullying her to prove who she was even though she was at her home. She rents private as do i so her property is private property but this bloke started taking pictures of her house. She got really upset at this and i told him to jog on so he went but then started taking snaps from the street say its public land so he can do what he wants,.

This has all been a stress for her and now shes worried hes coming back or doing something with these pictures hes took. I told her id see what information i can find out but im stumped. Can anyone help with some advice about her situation mainly is someone allowed to come and start taking pictures of a private house against the tenants wishes?

A neighbours house you say?:suspect: are you sure it wasn't your house?

Thanks for all your replies. Its a shame it seems like she cant stop any future debt collector taking random snaps of her which has her worried as she got some more post for the previous tennent today and now she thinks thats going to be more debt and more hassle. As she dosent have a computer ill be lodging a complaint with scottcall for the way the tool behaved. They will also be warned that if they turn up again and refuse to leave i WILL be removing them personally.

Thank you again everyone. Well almost everyone because there is usually one Billy Nomates who thinks hes clever :D

There's some good youtube vids on dodgy bailiffs. The ones with these west country dudes crack me up

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 12:52 ----------

This ones even funnier

warning strong language.

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 13:03 ----------

Hilarious!

Thanks for all your replies. Its a shame it seems like she cant stop any future debt collector taking random snaps of her which has her worried as she got some more post for the previous tennent today and now she thinks thats going to be more debt and more hassle. As she dosent have a computer ill be lodging a complaint with scottcall for the way the tool behaved. They will also be warned that if they turn up again and refuse to leave i WILL be removing them personally.

Thank you again everyone. Well almost everyone because there is usually one Billy Nomates who thinks hes clever :D

If she's not the tenant that ran up the debt then all she has to do is to show them that she's not that person and that the person is no longer there.

Even the most intrusive of debt collection companies recognise that pursuing the wrong person is not in their interests.

In the last rented home I was in before I bought this place we were so used to debt collectors and bailiffs turning up for the previous tenants that we laminated a copy of our lease and stuck it on the back of the front door for easy retrieval. Yes, it was a pain dealing with all of the debt collectors, but once they knew that we were not the people they were seeking they went away.

The longer she puts off proving that she's not the debtor, the worse this will get.

Never experienced a bailiff at the door, but a friend had a house with an unpaid council tax bill and had problems. Its worth noting there is a difference between court appointed bailiffs and meat heads from private companies.

She should hold a camera up and take pictures of him then post them online.

it seems like she cant stop any future debt collector taking random snaps of her which has her worried as she got some more post for the previous tennent today and now she thinks thats going to be more debt and more hassle.

The previous tenant of my place did this. I believed he still kept a key for the communal area to get his post, but I made sure someone grabbed it first.

I then notified the police that I'd be opening the mail (i'm not sure if its a crime) and did so, telephoning the company in each letter to let them know.

The previous tenant of my place did this. I believed he still kept a key for the communal area to get his post, but I made sure someone grabbed it first.

I then notified the police that I'd be opening the mail (i'm not sure if its a crime) and did so, telephoning the company in each letter to let them know.

The correct manner is return to sender on the letter then in the post box.

btw it isn't the debt collectors fault he has to call,neither is it his fault if he legally needs proof/evidence to sign off on his call.

only court appointed baliffs with a high court order can enter your premises. jobsworths from debt collection companies have no power of entry. tell them to do one.

only court appointed baliffs with a high court order can enter your premises. jobsworths from debt collection companies have no power of entry. tell them to do one.

There was no indication from the op that the debt collector was trying to gain entry, simply clarification of i.d.

The correct manner is return to sender on the letter then in the post box.

btw it isn't the debt collectors fault he has to call,neither is it his fault if he legally needs proof/evidence to sign off on his call.

Debt collectors should inform the person (via letter) they may visit. Then it's up to that person to agree to the visit,or ask them all contact should only be made by other forms of communication.

I thought it was only illegal to open someone elses mail whilst it is in transit from A to B? Not once it has reached the address on the front of the letter.:confused: