Frank Roper, motorcycle dealer, London Rd.

I can't add much to what has already been posted but I lived in St Barnabas rd just off London road way back in 1945 to 1950 and in Alderson road in 1953 -1955 and remember Roper's had several shops with one non Roper shop spoiling his frontage almost in the middle of them !

I also remember Dan Bradbury's a bit further along because I had a rather dillapidated Norton model 18 ( about 1933 I think ), it was so old that it did not legally have to have a speedomenter and I used to get stopped regularly by the law, Dan was alive in those days and when I went into his shop he always used to tease me about " Have you still got that pile of junk , we don't keep spares that old" but in fact he did and found me a big end bearing when mine collapsed one day ! happy memories westmoors

I can't add much to what has already been posted but I lived in St Barnabas rd just off London road way back in 1945 to 1950 and in Alderson road in 1953 -1955 and remember Roper's had several shops with one non Roper shop spoiling his frontage almost in the middle of them ! westmoors

I have just bought a 1953 AJS Model 18S which still has its mudguard label from Ropers. It reads:

Frank B. Roper Ltd

154-168 London Rd

Sheffield

However the manufacturer's records show the bike was initially despatched to Haines on 18th December 1952. Does anyone know who Haines were? Any ideas about how the bike may have found its way from them to be sold by Ropers?

I have just bought an AJS motorcycle which was initially sold by them in 1953.

It still has their plate on the mudguard:

Frank B. Roper Ltd

154-168 London Road

Sheffield

Would be interested to hear more about the firm.

I have just bought an AJS motorcycle which was initially sold by them in 1953.

It still has their plate on the mudguard:

Frank B. Roper Ltd

154-168 London Road

Sheffield

Would be interested to hear more about the firm.

A bit of info'....

The string of shop fronts ... ''Imperial buildings''.. that opened up into a larger open shop area...Ropers, were on the left of London road (towards Sheffield) at the top of Bennett street. A portion of buildings for some reason were demolished and is now an open car sales plot. The small side lane is still there. A family firm, they sold British bikes, sidecars, spares and repairs and Reliant three wheelers. We bought one !..No doubt further info will come in.. Cheers .. Dj.

Hi steverat - welcome to the Forum! Just a few details of Frank B. Roper.

Frank Brittain Roper was born in Sheffield on 8 June 1885, the son of a Derbyshire-born engineer. By c..1909 he was already a self-employed motorcycle dealer, and by the 1920s he was established at 154-168 London Road, Sheffield. Roper's was a much-respected name among Sheffield motorcycle dealers in the pre- and post-war periods. Here is a scan from a 1940s directory.

Frank Roper died in 1970 but the business, on a smaller scale, continued to deal in accessories for some time afterwards.

Edited by hillsbro

The Abbeydale Rd shop also sold pedal cycles and spares.I bought a set of replacement spoke nipples there in 1953.

They were agents for Vespa scooters, I bought one there in 1958.

They were agents for Vespa scooters, I bought one there in 1958.

I was buying scooter spares, including crash bars, mirrors, back rests etc from Ropers up until around 1977.

Does anyone have a mudguard plate from Frank Roper's that they would be willing to part with?

I've recently acquired a machine sold by him in the 50's and it would be nice to have.

Thanks, Duncan.

I worked in the stores of walter wraggs from 1958 till they moved to west bar russ waren was the manager and cooper raced a gold star and a tiger cub in a james frame your dad had a borgward Isabella then a jaguar

That's where I bought my Vespa scooter from in 1958

Dan Bradbury's further up London Road were the Moskvitch dealers

---------- Post added 05-02-2015 at 16:34 ----------

:love:

That's where I bought my Vespa scooter from in 1958

Dan Bradbury's further up London Road were the Moskvitch dealers

I had forgotten the Moskvitch cars - I think you're right. They were real rust-buckets - reputedly the best thing about them was the heater.

I remember the date well - 1 August 1970. It was the first day of the 'J' registrations and I had just collected my brand-new BSA Starfire (it was FWJ 18J) from Leather & Simpsons. I parked it outside Ropers and gazed into the windows. I wasn't window-shopping - I just wanted to see the admiring looks at my gleaming blue-and-chrome machine from the other bikers there! :hihi: :hihi:

No it was Dan Bradbury who was the Moskovitch agent.