Frank Roper, motorcycle dealer, London Rd.

I knew all the staff at Ropers from the mid 60s onwards, it was just an accessories shop then and they would be wearing smart brown smocks. I also remember the combination parked outside with the box chassis on it. Occasionally Mr Roper (quite elderly then) would visit and upon his entrance the staff would politely voice their greetings, although Mr Roper was quite deaf.

I think, at that time, that Armandos had a workshop on the other side of London Road down a side street.

Memory's a bit hazy now but I seem to recollect that Ropers had another sales premises further up London Road?

Edited by carosio

Ya I remember Ropers I worked at Dan Bradburys up the road from Ropers. my friend Andrew worked there 1970s time. they had a motorbike and side car he would use it to come up to Dans and have a chat sometimes they sold a lot of Franny Barnett's and James motor cycles all with the little brass badge on the back mud guards. I dont know if it was any thing to do with them but there workshop changed into selling Wartburg Sabb and Lada cars .

Edited by Shogun

Ya I remember Ropers I worked at Dan Bradburys up the road from Ropers. my friend Andrew worked there 1970s time. they had a motorbike and side car he would use it to come up to Dans and have a chat sometimes they sold a lot of Franny Barnett's and James motor cycles all with the little brass badge on the back mud guards. I dont if it was any thing to do with them but there workshop changed into selling Wartburg Sabb and Lada cars .
I think when Ropers finished it became David E Hinchliffe's selling eastern european junk,lada,Wartburg,moskovitch all crap.Ropers always appeared to be a cut above the others and all the counter sales staff wore brown coats and were helpful.I must have spent a small fortune in Gunk there.

I think when Ropers finished it became David E Hinchliffe's selling eastern european junk,lada,Wartburg,moskovitch all crap.Ropers always appeared to be a cut above the others and all the counter sales staff wore brown coats and were helpful.I must have spent a small fortune in Gunk there.
Remember moska****s dans sold them absolute junk it bust dans selling them,

Remember moska****s dans sold them absolute junk it bust dans selling them,
The diff units were full of casting sand and the bearings were shot in a few miles.

I first saw a Honda 250cc in there window I think it was a Benly black thing dint like the look of it , Always been a British and still am a British motorbike fan little did I know that they would take over as they did still hard to think what a grate motorcycle industry we had here at one time. all long gone

Hi - My dad was Wally Humphry - Walter Wraggs was his business - do you remember him?? Longs shot as your post was in 2005.....

Hi

I worked for Walter Wraggs on Wellington Street in 1957 Wally Humphry was the owner and Russ Warren was the manager.

I was the Box Boy

Happy days:

Trevor Staniforth

Edited by 587td

I used to work in the parts department in 1961 mr hall was gm frank b roper lived on abbey lane at the time there was a seat outside his house with rest awile curasy of fb roper.

The ad was its that nice tidy block of shops under the clock.

dont know the name of the parts manager but he as old and they gave him a flat above the shop it was jubalee flat

(It's that that block of clean and tidy shops) used to be their motto on adverts

Hi - My dad was Wally Humphry - Walter Wraggs was his business - do you remember him?? Longs shot as your post was in 2005.....

I remember him he used to have a borgward Isabella then had a jaguar

Was it Walter that used to put them comical bits inthe adverts?

I worked at Dan Bradburys up the road from Ropers a friend of mine worked at Ropers they did not deal in Moskavich it was us at Bradburys that sold Moskavich Ropers sold Lada cars there was a bit of competition between the two shops but most of the time we got on.