Frank Roper, motorcycle dealer, London Rd.

We do not sell oriental oddities"I'm afraid that sort of outlook killed the british bike a total misread of the British biker as in "real men have kick start's"NO real men have push button start and all cover cowlings I don't know if a bike is still made in U.K over here bikes are 80%Japanese quite a few "Harley's" and a few B.M W

I remember Frank B Ropers, Dan Bradburys, Wilf Greens, orridge and Wildegoose, Grays on Bridge St, Wraggs on West Bar, Toms Motorcycles on Copper St, Leather and Simpsons.

I particularly remember Wilf Greens hatred of Japanese motorcycles. He once had a sign in the window which read :- WE DO NOT SELL ORIENTAL ODDITIES.

At the end of each racing season we used to look in Grays window. They used to sponsor John Cooper and a 500 and a 350 Manx Norton were on display [complete with oil drip-trays under the engines].

Ah, memories,memories.

A motorcycle dealer near in Laceby (near Grimsby) had a nice counter sign.It said "Please do not ask for Japanese parts as a smack in the gob often offends".

We do not sell oriental oddities"I'm afraid that sort of outlook killed the british bike a total misread of the British biker as in "real men have kick start's"NO real men have push button start and all cover cowlings I don't know if a bike is still made in U.K over here bikes are 80%Japanese quite a few "Harley's" and a few B.M W

Wilf was a 'character', a living institution, and had a huge sense of humour.

We still make bikes in the U.K., Triumphs are still made [at Hinckley instead of Meriden] and Nortons are on the verge of firing up again once the deals are struck. We have a thriving classic industry, we even make new Gold Star and Vincent engines. Complete bikes if you can afford one. We even reproduce and race Manx Nortons, G50 Matchless and AJS 7R's. The Japs beat us on productivity but we still build quality bikes. Just listen to a racing Norton 'on the pipe' and you will know what I am talking about. It brings tears to your eyes.

Wilf was a 'character', a living institution, and had a huge sense of humour.

We still make bikes in the U.K., Triumphs are still made [at Hinckley instead of Meriden] and Nortons are on the verge of firing up again once the deals are struck. We have a thriving classic industry, we even make new Gold Star and Vincent engines. Complete bikes if you can afford one. We even reproduce and race Manx Nortons, G50 Matchless and AJS 7R's. The Japs beat us on productivity but we still build quality bikes. Just listen to a racing Norton 'on the pipe' and you will know what I am talking about. It brings tears to your eyes.

And if you go to Cadwell Park,Mallory Park or Donington to the Vintage racing next season,you can watch and hear them.

I do go whenever possible, but only find the old 'uns interesting. The only other normal meeting I go to is 'the Stars' meeting at Darley Moor. I like to see the young lads and the 'not so wealthy' given a chance. Darley gives such ambitious kids a chance.

To see road based so-called superbikes racing does nothing for me any more.

I remember 'proper racing bikes', open megaphones, pudding basin helmets, black leathers.

Pure nostalgia, yes I do wear rose tinted glasses, just put it down to age.

Ariel and Sunbeam were part of the BSA and Triumph group not AMC.AMC were Norton,James,Francis Barnett,AJS,Matchless.The inline Sunbeam was the S7 with balloon tyres which changed to the S8 with normal tyres.Apparently it was a slow performer due to the weak shaft drive and was detuned to preserve it.

I remember the S7 being refered to as 'the gentlemans motorcycle'.

Although i am not local to Sheffield ,i was interested as to the history of a calendar i have in my possesion..It was given by Frank B Ropers business, obviously to his cherished customers...its from 1931 and features a picture of the Strand in London with the company address given as FRANK B ROPER.158,166,168 London road Sheffield Automobile Engineers and Concessionaires..Phone 51502 Grams;Roper51502 sheffield...I have also a bundle of photos relating to a coal transport company in Sheffield..i will have to dig them out as Iam sure they may be of interest to any existing family members..all for now.

I worked at Ropers as apprentice mechanic 1955-1961 (with two years National Service in between).As I remember Frank Roper Owner, Mr Hall G.M. and George Haley shop foreman.Part of my duties was picking up and delivering Motorcycles and Scooters with a Matchless and Sidecar Box Thingy, One of the high lights of my pick-ups was to go by train to Yarmouth and ride back an allmost brand new B.S.A. Road Rocket with a single seater sports sidecar, "What a Ride"

Will look in my stuff to see if I have any papers with there name on for you bsarider I know you can still get all the transfers and badges for for your bsa just use the net.

Frank Roper sold out to Humpferies of Birmingham and I went on to Dan Bradburys just up the road and then onto Walter Wraggs at Chesterfield but still did business with Porridge and Wildoats (DAH) and Sid Smith.

Texas... The only Italians I remember was Amando and Claudo and they worked at Dan Bradburys

Hi - My dad was Wally Humphry - Walter Wraggs was his business - do you remember him?? Longs shot as your post was in 2005.....

By the time I started biking (1975), Ropers I think was just a spares and accesories shop. Would I be correct?. I remember buying my first helmet,leather jacket,gloves and boots from there. And,later,my first Belstaff for my first biking winter!

I remember Frank B Ropers, Dan Bradburys, Wilf Greens, orridge and Wildegoose, Grays on Bridge St, Wraggs on West Bar, Toms Motorcycles on Copper St, Leather and Simpsons.

I particularly remember Wilf Greens hatred of Japanese motorcycles. He once had a sign in the window which read :- WE DO NOT SELL ORIENTAL ODDITIES.

At the end of each racing season we used to look in Grays window. They used to sponsor John Cooper and a 500 and a 350 Manx Norton were on display [complete with oil drip-trays under the engines].

Ah, memories,memories.

Sorry Nimrod it was Walter Wraggs on Shalesmoor who sponsered John Cooper,they always had the two Norton Manx's in the window with his cups and photos.Wraggs were previously on Wellington st.Ian Geddes was the sales manager and Tom on copper st worked for them around1963.

By the time I started biking (1975), Ropers I think was just a spares and accesories shop. Would I be correct?. I remember buying my first helmet,leather jacket,gloves and boots from there. And,later,my first Belstaff for my first biking winter!

same for me, bought my 1st helmet there in 1978, went back for gloves and bits for the bike, I remember getting a mirror in the winter of 78 as I broke mine when I fell off in the ice. I bought my boots from a shop on Attercliffe, it was on a corner,. anybody any idea what or where that was?

Its was probably Syd Smiths,Syd ran the shop with Les Worthington and his wife after Syd retired Les had the business until his retirement and his unfortunate and tragic accident in the Isle of Man.I believe his son Glyn has the shop now on Green land rd.