Frank Roper, motorcycle dealer, London Rd.

Yes, I remember them, weren't they also the main agent for Moskavitch cars in the early 70's!

That's where I bought my Vespa scooter from in 1958

Yes, I remember them, weren't they also the main agent for Moskavitch cars in the early 70's!

I had forgotten the Moskvitch cars - I think you're right. They were real rust-buckets - reputedly the best thing about them was the heater.

I remember the date well - 1 August 1970. It was the first day of the 'J' registrations and I had just collected my brand-new BSA Starfire (it was FWJ 18J) from Leather & Simpsons. I parked it outside Ropers and gazed into the windows. I wasn't window-shopping - I just wanted to see the admiring looks at my gleaming blue-and-chrome machine from the other bikers there! :hihi: :hihi:

bsarider, like I say I only worked there for a week or so, and I haven't got any specific memories. I remember delivering a scooter and a B.S.A.125 to a house in Wales (near Sheffield that is) and had to muscle them in the van and out again, on my own. As regards the cleaning side no memories at all.

Texas, thanks for your reply ,someone out there has a bill of sale from Ropers

he may just read this message and look in the old shoe box. thanks again

i remember ropers i used to go there quite a lot for my reliant 3 wheeler parts , a good selection and great service and also fair prices , i remember when it was closing down lots of parts etc at half price and less , i got well stocked up with parts , i think it was 1983/84 ish when they closed down a bit sad really .

The 1911 Kellys gives 168 London Rd ROPER AND BEATSON motor cycle dealers frank B lived at 2 Broadfields Broadfield Rd at no 1 was Henry John Roper an engineer father?, in 1927 he lived Above his shops on London Rd he was in at the begining of the motoring age,what memmories he must have had.

I worked at Ropers as apprentice mechanic 1955-1961 (with two years National Service in between).As I remember Frank Roper Owner, Mr Hall G.M. and George Haley shop foreman.Part of my duties was picking up and delivering Motorcycles and Scooters with a Matchless and Sidecar Box Thingy, One of the high lights of my pick-ups was to go by train to Yarmouth and ride back an allmost brand new B.S.A. Road Rocket with a single seater sports sidecar, "What a Ride"

Will look in my stuff to see if I have any papers with there name on for you bsarider I know you can still get all the transfers and badges for for your bsa just use the net.

Frank Roper sold out to Humpferies of Birmingham and I went on to Dan Bradburys just up the road and then onto Walter Wraggs at Chesterfield but still did business with Porridge and Wildoats (DAH) and Sid Smith.

Texas... The only Italians I remember was Amando and Claudo and they worked at Dan Bradburys

I worked at Ropers as apprentice mechanic 1955-1961 (with two years National Service in between).As I remember Frank Roper Owner, Mr Hall G.M. and George Haley shop foreman.Part of my duties was picking up and delivering Motorcycles and Scooters with a Matchless and Sidecar Box Thingy, One of the high lights of my pick-ups was to go by train to Yarmouth and ride back an allmost brand new B.S.A. Road Rocket with a single seater sports sidecar, "What a Ride"

Will look in my stuff to see if I have any papers with there name on for you bsarider I know you can still get all the transfers and badges for for your bsa just use the net.

Frank Roper sold out to Humpferies of Birmingham and I went on to Dan Bradburys just up the road and then onto Walter Wraggs at Chesterfield but still did business with Porridge and Wildoats (DAH) and Sid Smith.

Texas... The only Italians I remember was Amando and Claudo and they worked at Dan Bradburys

I had a mate who worked at Dan Bradbury's in the sixties, he got knocked off the motor bike and box by an Ambulance think it went through the red light on emergency, Glossop Road area.

Did'nt amando set up his own workshop? It was Horridge& Wildgoose i think thats where I bought my Zundapp Bella from in 58.

Bro' took his bike in not charging, out came the foreman in his white coat and with a quick twist with his minnie screw driver fixed the prob' that will be 2&6,what 2&6 said my Bro' all you did was quick flick, ahh said the foreman it me 20yrs to learn that flick of the wrist(True story 1947)

Bro' took his bike in not charging, out came the foreman in his white coat and with a quick twist with his minnie screw driver fixed the prob' that will be 2&6,what 2&6 said my Bro' all you did was quick flick, ahh said the foreman it me 20yrs to learn that flick of the wrist(True story 1947)

How about this for a heartbreak. Just been looking at a 1937 Motor Cycle magazine,

A brand new BSA £38/10. There again a good weeks wage was aboiut £4 so whats changed?