Tikka Masala - Walkley

A bit of advice for anybody going to Tikka Masala at Walkley.

If you're having a beer with your meal, ask how much it's going to cost you first. They charged us £3.75 for a pint of Cobra on draught, £2.65 for a half. No drinks menu, no prices visible anywhere as far as I could see, so we ordered without knowing what the charge was.

I asked them how could they justify charging 41% more on a half, and they couldn't answer me.

Apparently it was the managers day off. "I don't set the prices, and there's nothing I can do" said the waiter, but did I want the manager's mobile number to discuss this with.

Oh, and the card machine didn't work, and they didn't have any change in the till. The waiter had to nip across the road to the Asda to buy some milk to get my change.

The food incidentally was superb!

Guest makapaka
A bit of advice for anybody going to Tikka Masala at Walkley.

If you're having a beer with your meal, ask how much it's going to cost you first. They charged us £3.75 for a pint of Cobra on draught, £2.65 for a half. No drinks menu, no prices visible anywhere as far as I could see, so we ordered without knowing what the charge was.

I asked them how could they justify charging 41% more on a half, and they couldn't answer me.

Apparently it was the managers day off. "I don't set the prices, and there's nothing I can do" said the waiter, but did I want the manager's mobile number to discuss this with.

Oh, and the card machine didn't work, and they didn't have any change in the till. The waiter had to nip across the road to the Asda to buy some milk to get my change.

The food incidentally was superb!

So basically the food was great but you think he halves of lager are expensive? The pints aren't. Maybe you could have structured your review a bit more positively given that this is someone's business?

Where is the restaurant? Is it the commonside or walkley end?

Walkley end, it has gone under various names over the years including Ghandi and Royal Spice. I've not been in a while, but have had decent enough food.

I went a few months ago and thought it was very good. Much better than last time I went which was a few years ago under the name before last (Royal Spice).

The staff were nice enough and I took the risk of ordering a pint of beer without seeing the price list. I reasoned that it would be between 3 and 4 quid. It was.

So good luck to them. With the Walkley Beer Company next door it is very handy.

So basically the food was great but you think he halves of lager are expensive? The pints aren't. Maybe you could have structured your review a bit more positively given that this is someone's business?

I don't think it's a structured review as such, more of a moan at the place ripping people off with their beer charges. At least the OP put a positive note at the end about the food.

It's a pity more people don't complain about outrageous charges.

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

Does this place have any thing to do with Cafe Masala, across the road ??

Thats not bad for a pint of cobra in an indian restaurant!!

Up the hill in crookes its nearly £5 for a large bottle of cobra in Zaras.

Its full title is 'Thank You From Cafe Masala'. No, don't think it's anything to do with the restaurant.

Edited by Bilge

Sorry, Tikka Massala is nothing to do with us. We're just a small family-run takeaway. We get a lot of customers asking this question. It's not helpful that they've decided to have a name which is very similar to ours. But best of luck to them - more people that come into the area the better.

BTW with the heavy snow, we will be offering collection services. Call 01142334430 after 5pm.

Scoobz why are you commenting on your own post :suspect:

for those who dont know Scoobz is also seirreh :D

Heads Up too Re: Sai Nivas (next to Shapla, which is good) - they charged £4.99 for the bottle of Cobra - highly extortionate, but this is how they make the bill up - promising cheap food prices) - beware