The Snoopers Charter returned last night

If it makes it a quicker and easier process to catch terrorists before they get chance to cause havoc and hurt innocent people, then surely that's a good thing.

It would be easier and quicker to catch terrorists if the government put us all in prisons and monitored all our communications and conversations.

So that must be a good idea too.

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 22:21 ----------

All the more reason to only use unregistered pay as you go mobile phones. they will be able to read the texts , but they have no chance of finding who sent them.

Same with emails, only ever send them from an unregistered phone on pay as you go. makes you a lot more anonymous .

Nah, mast triangulation and gps will pinpoint the phone, cross check with cc card records, ANPR, CCTV facial recognition etc. They will be able to narrow it down to arrestable numbers.

"Lord King the former Conservative defence secretary

Lord Carlile the Liberal Democrat former reviewer of counter-terror laws

Lord West the former Labour defence minister

Lord Blair the former Metropolitan police commissioner"

Very interesting.

Are their actions in 'the spirit' of the law that allows the use of such 'powers'? If not, should legal channels be used to curtail these powers?

Ahhhh, of course not, because that might serve the public instead of politicians, and who would they find to possibly 'look in to matters' and how long would it take to even appoint someone? -:rolleyes: Sound familiar!?! This country has gone to the dogs!

Thanks for posting Esme. What is our "free press" (that is the great defender of personal privacy! :hihi: ) doing about this? I wonder what's in it for them? More powers too?

For those thinking it will not effect them, basically, it will mean the end of free speech as we know it on the internet. Have you all read about Elms Guest House? - only the internet has forced this issue - and the government doesn't like it.

...What is our "free press" (that is the great defender of personal privacy! :hihi: ) doing about this? I wonder what's in it for them? More powers too?...
Given the current row over privileged journalist/source and lawyer/client discussions being intercepted, my guess is they are getting nothing.

There is still some time to do something: https://t.co/wyYnt2hsbA

Just tweeted Lord Scriven as well, he is opposed but out of the country on business, I find it appalling that a LibDem lord (Carlile) can put his name to such an un-liberal, un-democratic process and law. I will be writing to the party about this as well.

Thanks for that, I just alerted around a hundred of 'em

The point is this bill has already been rejected by both the Commons and the Lords and these four have decided that the rule of democracy isn't good enough, the decision of 600 odd MP's & 600 odd Lords is being overruled by 4 lords.

Good point. There is an increasing tendency for some of our ruling elites to assume that they have 100% of the right to do what they want. They need to be reminded otherwise.

Yes, they do need reminding.

If this is allowed to pass then it sets an extremely worrying precedent.

A precedent enabling any random lord to simply staple clauses enabling their pet project, to the back of any bill in the last stages of approval and if no one spots it, it becomes law.

This is a frightening abuse of procedure.

Can lords be stripped of their peerage ?

I've thought for a long time that the House of Lords and indeed the honours system in it's entirety, need to be got rid of.

The only chance of stopping this is to write to the Lords and urge them to attend the debate and throw out the amendments

Thanks for the heads up esme!

These people are slippery little suckers :suspect:

Anyone else enjoying the irony of people using a pseudonym and arguing for the removal of privacy ?

A bit like on here you mean

:hihi:

A bit like on here you mean

:hihi:

Those are the people I was referring to, yes.