Acoustic Hard Bop Gypsy Klezmer Jazz Ensemble!

I am setting up an acoustic instrumental 'Jazz' band similar to/influenced by artists like David Grisman, Chris Thile, Andy Statman, Django, Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer, Frank London, Stephane Grappelli, Mariano Massolo, Jacob Do Banddolim etc etc – taking elements of Gypsy jazz, Klezmer, Choro, Classical, Baltic, Blues and Hard Bop (and anything we fancy) – I have some compositions ready, and ideas for standards/covers but would be more than happy for any member to write material – and I would be looking for improvisation to be a big part of the sound.

Instrument wise I am open to anything – if it sounds like something you would enjoy and be passionate about get in touch! Although the intial description says acoustic/instrumental any electric players or vocalists who feel it is something they would love to do please get in touch as well. I will be playing Mandolin & Harmonica – possibly banjo and lap steel as well.

This is something I am very passionate about and I am keen fine other people who are – regardless of age or any other factor! I can't promise any riches at this point – but it would be something that I'd want to getting gigging, and touring, as far and as wide as we could go!

I have a rehearsal room, experience in the business, contacts and all that stuff that everyone promises!

Please get in touch if you have any questions or if you are interested (details below) – preferably by email/text but a PM/reply is more than welcome.

Email – harmanjolist@gmail.com

Phone - 07522429175

Is it possible that this may result in a kind of guitar/mandolin/banjo orchestra?

A string-band jazz -klez orchestra would be a hell of a thing, enough people and we could add some Yiddish swing to Wagner, but that would be a whole different project. I was thinking more in the duo - quintet area. But certainly wouldn't turn down people on number grounds...but I can't see there being enough crazies for that to be an issue!

Edited by Harmanjolist

Hi

I'd be interested in this if you could find use for a keyboard player.

Cheers

Kieran

Good luck with this one- it sounds like good fun. If I could still play I'd be up for it :)

Hi - I've sent you an email regarding this. But in case you've not got it etc, this to me sound very interesting but I am primarily a sax player with some flute playing ability (I make Jeremy Steig type noises - melody and notes aside) and I reached a good standard on the clarinet albeit many moons ago. Improvisation wise - I can and do - with lots of enthusiasm and the odd bum note which more often than not I simply like to think of as 'passing notes'. Am I selling myself too much here?

Great post Blowpipes. I'd buy that ten fold.

Mind if I ask why you can't play anymore?

My bowing/plucking/fingering arm doesn't work any more :(

I played viola, cello, violin, tuba, mandolin, flugelhorn, bass guitar, piano, clarinet and a bit of flute, but unfortunately they are all way too hard to do without a right hand.