Sheffield Empire

My father was a musician and toured the music hall theatres prior to his National Service. He once told me that after being demobbed, he went to the Empire to see the revue that starred some of the artistes that he had worked with previously. After the show he went back stage to renew acquaintances. Chatting with the headline act, who also were the shows producers (employers), the young comedian in the show popped in the dressing room with the teas. It was Norman Wisdom (then just starting to make a name for himself in the late '40's).

For those interested in the old music hall history, follow the link below. There is a pic of my dad (Ernest) about halfway down the memorabilia page.

British Music Hall Society

My father was a musician and toured the music hall theatres prior to his National Service. He once told me that after being demobbed, he went to the Empire to see the revue that starred some of the artistes that he had worked with previously. After the show he went back stage to renew acquaintances. Chatting with the headline act, who also were the shows producers (employers), the young comedian in the show popped in the dressing room with the teas. It was Norman Wisdom (then just starting to make a name for himself in the late '40's).

For those interested in the old music hall history, follow the link below. There is a pic of my dad (Ernest) about halfway down the memorabilia page.

British Music Hall Society

I have some of those old programmes from Sheffield Empire .

If you have the time to scan them, I'm sure the society would be chuffed to see them.... me too.

I remember seeing a circus, with elephants and tigers at the Empire in the 40's.

The logistics of setting up in such a small venue in the middle of town, must have been something!

I have some very happy memories of the shows at the Empire, queuing for hours to get into the "Gods" to see Laurel and Hardy, what a memory, also a double act Ted Andrews and Barbara, who as part of their act, introduced their teenage daughter, think about it, Andrews. teenage daughter, add the name Julie and what do you get? another well remembered double act were two young men who had a song, dance and comedy act whose work on the halls brought a very wonderful reward a few years later, yes Morecambe and Wise

I and my late sister went to the Empire for many years, up in the gods seeing many acts and entertainers and some who would become very famous over the years. Wonderful memories

Cannot remember seeing Al Martino at the Empire, but did see him

at the City Hall, in the early 80s. My wife loved him.

Used to go in the gods at the Empire in the 50s usually on Monday,I think

it was cheaper on that night. Remember,Morecambe and Wise, Max Wall,

Jimmy James,Frank Randall, Laurel and Hardy(thought they were rubbish)

Bill Haley and the Comets. Joseph Locke and Gypsy Rose Lee.The gods not

the best place to see her.

Happy Memories of a bygone era

I am surprised that Bill Haley appeared there, as I thought the only appearance he made in the area was at the Queens Hall in Leeds which I went to, being a big fan, I do remember some very statuesque young ladies wearing very little or nothing at all, and also Tommy Steele did a great show there.

I am surprised that Bill Haley appeared there, as I thought the only appearance he made in the area was at the Queens Hall in Leeds which I went to, being a big fan, I do remember some very statuesque young ladies wearing very little or nothing at all, and also Tommy Steele did a great show there.

The legendary Bill Haley appeared at the Fiesta

I remember seeing Harry Seacombe, Michael Bentine, David Whitfield, Lonnie Donnegan and Tommy Steele there.

Goy an old programme dated Monday June 11th 1945 . Never heard who was on the Bill but Cyril Fletcher was on the week after. Advertisements Morgan Fairest,Baldwin Electrical

I only got to visit the one time in 1958 at 15yrs old sat up in the gods with some pals at the time!.I can only remember one of the acts Johnny Duncan and the Blue Grass Boys,their hit at the time "Last Train To San Fernando",it was a night remembered because I arrived home late and got into a set too with my old man who was not averse to locking me out!.He was very old fashioned set in his ways and too big to argue with but I stood my corner just the same!.

Was the Empire a variety theatre only? I seem to recall seeing 'The Snow Queen' there in the 50s.