Sheffield Empire

my family used to go regularly, sit in the gods. I was passing one day having just come from Children's hospital with my arm in plaster and a group called The Deep River Boys ,who were appearing there were standing outside. They made a big fuss of me and all signed my "pot". they gace me a dollar bill which I still have, I was 4 then and am now in my 80's so have had it a long time

my family used to go regularly, sit in the gods. I was passing one day having just come from Children's hospital with my arm in plaster and a group called The Deep River Boys ,who were appearing there were standing outside. They made a big fuss of me and all signed my "pot". they gace me a dollar bill which I still have, I was 4 then and am now in my 80's so have had it a long time

Hi Laura, you can reacquaint yourself with the boys

Hi Laura, you can reacquaint yourself with the boys

I think they were on 'Radio Luxembourg' when I was a kid. Make that, when we were all kids!

Hi All,

am new to this forum(and forums in general) , so apologies if I'm not following protocol.

I've just been reading about the Sheffield Empire, and noticed that Cuttsie posted stating that Maurice Newton, conductor at the Empire, was his uncle.

I'm just wanting to make contact with you as Maurice was my Grandfather!

I had no idea that Maurice - or his wife Gladdis, had any siblings! 

Maurice died when I was quite young, but I do have very fond memories of him. I have a few photos of his time at the Empire and would be very happy to share these.

It would be great to hear from you- or indeed anyone with more information about the Empire or Maurice Newton.

Best wishes

Nick Zeiher

Yes he Was , My mother Beatrice was his sister , was your mother called Jean . I think you need around three posts before you can be reached by P M . So I will wait to here from you .

Hi Cuttsie

Very interesting, I had no idea that Maurice had a sister.. Good to have made contact!

That's right, my mother (Maurice's only daughter) was called Jean, and lived at Falkland Road until she got married to  Graham who lived locally on Tullibardine Road.

Unfortunately I was a bit too young to talk with Maurice about his musical career (I was born in 1963), but remember very well visits to him and Gladdis at their home. I think Maurice was quite a keen gardener(maybe everyone was in those days), and I remember getting told off for shaking his apple tree and my brother putting his foot through the cold frame in their garden.

I think Maurice passed away unexpectedly, and Gladdis subsequently moved in to a nursing home in (?) Buxton or Macclesfield.

I've been having a bit of a look through old photos which prompted my search about the Sheffield Empire'. There's a few pictures which may interest you.

I also have a film of my mother Jean's wedding which I've not seen for 50 years- but I would assume this may have captured Maurice, and possibly your mother Beatrice. The film is on a videotape, and I don't have a working video player, but I will try to get this digitised asap.

So pleased you have got back to me.

Best wishes

Nick

PS looks like I can't 'PM'  you, so hopefully ok to message like this!

This has made my day Nick , I spoke to your mother many years ago ,she was a great help to me at that time . The PM situation will sort its self out eventually.  : I have books and photo's about Maurice myself he was quite a famous Sheffielder in the Fifty's .

Likewise, has made my day too!

Pleased to hear that my mother was a help to you.

I would be very interested to hear more about Maurice- and likewise I have some interesting photos. Nice to know that he was appreciated by his fellow Sheffielders!!

So pleased to have made contact.

Nick

PS does someone called 'Aunty Dot', living in Buxton in the 1970's mean anything to you?- (a long shot!)

No but there was a family member who lived in Eyam  not far away from Buxton .

Curious- the Aunty 'Dot' had lots of books on shorthand I remember(could have been a secretary), and had to go in to residential care as she sadly developed dementia - but probably a different person.

Saw Lonnie Donegan there in 1957.

In 1933 a tiger escaped from a travelling show at the Empire , Ernest Dalton from Brixton  in Devon was Attacked and nearly died  from wounds to his neck .