Sheffield Empire

Does anyone remember Al Martino appearing at the Empire 1952/53 He sang about 15 songs good value for Seven shillings and Six pence, I think his song "Here in my Heart" had just topped the first Top twenty lists.

couple of years back saw him again on You-Tube just before he died over 80 still singing .

Gordon England

7/6p for seats in 1952---that seem very expensive unless you were in a box---most workers were getting about 4shillings an hour!

Yeah, I remember seeing that show, we were up in the 'Gods' though, didn't pay no 7/6.

In 1959 there was an offer in conjunction with Smedleys tinned peas ( yes, really) which gave reduced admission prices to the Empire on what must have been one of the last performances before the theatre closed. I remember seeing Edmund Hockridge the Canadian tenor(?) & the sexy singer Yana singing "Climb up the Wall". I was only 12 at the time so I did not fully appreciate what the song meant.

Edited by fatrajah

In 1959 there was an offer in conjunction with Smedleys tinned peas ( yes, really) which gave reduced admission prices to the Empire on what must have been one of the last performances before the theatre closed. I remember seeing Edmund Hockridge the Canadian tenor(?) & the sexy singer Yana singing "Climb up the Wall". I was only 12 at the time so I did not fully appreciate what the song meant.

hiya, we went to the empire many times always in the gods,bar once when an uncle of mine had some complimentary tickets and we went in the stalls,the act was jimmy james and eli the drunken act, after the war mum took me to the pantomime each year, but when i was 15/17 would go with my mates we saw tommy steel frankie ,and remember getting the ticket and climbing the stairs up to the cages to wait for the first house show to finish also frankie aughne ,shirley bassey amongst others.

as for bill hayley and the comets being here i don't think so as the only time i saw him was on the silver screen at the hippodrome in rock around the clock around 1955/6

Edited by willybite

7/6p for seats in 1952---that seem very expensive unless you were in a box---most workers were getting about 4shillings an hour!

It was 1/6d, in the gods. Absolutely brilliant place, seen lots of well-know stars there.

My favourite memory is seeing Collin Hicks - Tommy Steele's brother trying to cash in on his current popularity. He was dire, not going down at all well. When some one in the front section got up, as they were going out he stopped singing and said "where are are you going to the closet" (closet was what we often called the toilet then) A true gent.

Now you have set me thinking about the price I had just finished as an Apprentice as a Draughtsman at Newton Chambers and was waiting to do my National Service and I took a Girl so I may have been trying to impress also we were only about three or four rows from the stage, and in my defence it was 62 years ago.

I have a box somewhere with old ticket stubs and can see I paid 3 shilling to watch the 1948 Aussie's play cricket at the Scarborough Cricket festival, and in 1951 paid 3 shilling to watch Fred Perry play in the Slazenger Tennis tournament in Scarborough so My memory may have let me down about the Al Martino Concert, but whatever I paid he gave full value for the money.

Gordon England

I can remember going there to see Frank Randall,a right laugh.

Now you have set me thinking about the price I had just finished as an Apprentice as a Draughtsman at Newton Chambers and was waiting to do my National Service and I took a Girl so I may have been trying to impress also we were only about three or four rows from the stage, and in my defence it was 62 years ago.

I have a box somewhere with old ticket stubs and can see I paid 3 shilling to watch the 1948 Aussie's play cricket at the Scarborough Cricket festival, and in 1951 paid 3 shilling to watch Fred Perry play in the Slazenger Tennis tournament in Scarborough so My memory may have let me down about the Al Martino Concert, but whatever I paid he gave full value for the money.

Gordon England

Funny you should mention Newton chambers:)

My uncle Maurice Newton was the musical director at the Empire for many years.

There are many local history books that mention Maurice inc Thanks for the Memory and Seats in all parts by Leslie Frost,.

The latest is Curtain up at the Empire by Dave Manvell and my pal John Firminger [sheffield drummer better than Ringo;)]

I contributed to this latest book and I am extremely proud to have received a signed copy from the authors.

Maurice was the musical director from 1943 until 1959 when the Empire closed [planning vandalism once again].

In the first World war Maurice was wounded in France but went on to fight in Russia travelling by reindeer sledge.

His life story makes me proud to be a close descendant of such a Sheffield hero.

He should have a star out side the Town Hall as some have who are not as worthy as he.

Edited by cuttsie

Too young to have visited this fine theatre but what Iv seen in photos it really was grand such a same it was demolished. There is or was a book on the Empire telling its story well worth a read.

Cannot remember seeing Al Martino at the Empire, but did see him

at the City Hall, in the early 80s. My wife loved him.

Used to go in the gods at the Empire in the 50s usually on Monday,I think

it was cheaper on that night. Remember,Morecambe and Wise, Max Wall,

Jimmy James,Frank Randall, Laurel and Hardy(thought they were rubbish)

Bill Haley and the Comets. Joseph Locke and Gypsy Rose Lee.The gods not

the best place to see her.

Happy Memories of a bygone era

Cannot remember seeing Al Martino at the Empire, but did see him

at the City Hall, in the early 80s. My wife loved him.

Used to go in the gods at the Empire in the 50s usually on Monday,I think

it was cheaper on that night. Remember,Morecambe and Wise, Max Wall,

Jimmy James,Frank Randall, Laurel and Hardy(thought they were rubbish)

Bill Haley and the Comets. Joseph Locke and Gypsy Rose Lee.The gods not

the best place to see her.

Happy Memories of a bygone era

Folklore says that A lion once escaped from a travelling indoor circus .