Who buys local milk?

Love to know where you found that out... There aren't too many diary farmers, he probtlem is that we buy in a lot of imported (cheaper milk) and especially use this in other diary products. This means that suppliers including supermarkets squeeze the prices farmers get paid in the UK in order to still make a good profit on your 89p milk. I fully support buying local milk from a farmer or cooperative, the dairy industry is in a sad place and I hope we don't reach a day where it all comes from elsewhere in the world.

---------- Post added 23-01-2015 at 21:44 ----------

Not sure it is hugely dangerous these days, I have a friend who is a dairy farmer and his family and kids always drink it unpasteurised, it's fine if your body is used to it.

We actually did export milk to Russia but there is an embargo in place which

affects the Uk dairy farmers.

As far as buying imported milk just don't buy it. Uk sourced milk is clearly

marked on the containers

---------- Post added 24-01-2015 at 17:14 ----------

Still no suggestions on local producers that cover areas that ocm doesn't?

Here is a suggestion to try. lists a number of local milk suppliers.

http://ukplaces.com/Dairy%20Farmers/bradfield/tjm-white

Edited by bazjea

We actually did export milk to Russia but there is an embargo in place which affects the Uk dairy farmers.

agreed - Radio 4 covered it last week - I believe the embargo has had a huge effect on farmers as the demand has dropped.

Clearly there is also the secondary issue of supermarkets paying less than it costs to produce ... we are the consumers and have the power to take our custom anywhere we choose, but we rarely do due to difficult £££ choices or apathy

marked on the containers

Thanks Baz :) I still can't find any towards S20 I wondered if anyone this end of town had a decent supplier?

Thanks Baz :) I still can't find any towards S20 I wondered if anyone this end of town had a decent supplier?

Try this then. Or enquire off your neighbours. Failing that get up between 4 and 5am

and have a look around your area for a milk delivery vehicles, as this is the time they

seem to deliver around s6 area

http://3local.com/postcode/milkman/s20

Edited by bazjea

We always drank unpasteurised milk when we had our dairy herd absolutely delicious nothing quite like it. Our children never got the tummy bugs other children got.

agreed - Radio 4 covered it last week - I believe the embargo has had a huge effect on farmers as the demand has dropped.

Clearly there is also the secondary issue of supermarkets paying less than it costs to produce ... we are the consumers and have the power to take our custom anywhere we choose, but we rarely do due to difficult £££ choices or apathy

Also the intensive mega dairies are putting small dairy farmers out of business. I didn't know (until watching a programme other day) that cows kept inside those massive buildings (24/7) produce at least twice as much milk per day, than cows grazing out in the fields.

marked on the containers

Yes you are right, Russia is part of the problem because we export 20% of our milk there for them to use, but the issue is also that we import a lot of ours for use in other dairy products. Things like cheese, yoghurts but also milk powder used in ready meals and other processed products which uses the European milk.

So not only are we selling ours cheap, we're not even making the most of it.

My parents have had milk delivered for about 15-20 years now. It's great the milkman comes about 5:30-6am so you get fresh milk on your doorstep. It does cost a bit more but the service is really good.

Also the intensive mega dairies are putting small dairy farmers out of business. I didn't know (until watching a programme other day) that cows kept inside those massive buildings (24/7) produce at least twice as much milk per day, than cows grazing out in the fields.

yes - sadly most modern farming practices are not admirable .. but who drives this behaviour ... the supplier / the middle man / the consumer :|

Ours is delivered from Our Cow Molly by a local milkman as they don't deliver to us, I refuse to give my toddler anything other than OCM

Recently we have started getting it delivered from our cow molly in Dungworth. Sick of drinking massively expensive crap milk from major supermarkets who rip the farmers off (apparently 40% of dairy farms have closed since 2007 due to out-pricing by the big 4 supermarket chains) support local dairys people!:D ps our cow molly milk is delicious as is the ice cream :hihi:

I would buy Molly milk if it was available in our local shops or delivered in our area :( It's a shame as we don't live that far away either.

I love it and get it whenever we have chance to pop into the farm.

---------- Post added 26-01-2015 at 11:08 ----------

I'd love OCM milk too but there's no outlet around us at wadsley.

I know it's not viable to do daily doorstep deliveries in all areas, but perhaps they'd find a way to deliver maybe twice a week - milk lasts a good 5 days now so a 4 pinter does us for at least 3 days......

That's a really good idea, as you say, no need for daily deliveries