Arbourthorne, Sheffield. Irish or Romany communities ?

Information please Arbourthorne folks. Is there anything of an Irish community or folks descended from the Romany community on the estate. If so, do any of them drink in the Arbourthorne Hotel ?

The Arbourthorne Hotel closed last week and is due to be demolished soon.

demolished! i misspent my youth in there, oh well times move on and you cant get it back,

demolished! i misspent my youth in there, oh well times move on and you cant get it back,

Me too .

Arbourthorne Hotel always interesting in there for all its faults it was ok pub. A lot of estate pubs have gone now reflection of the times we live in .

I saw Joe Cocker there, when he went under the name of

Vance Arnold, I think.

Poor old Joe's gone and soon, the pub.

As Bob Dylan used to sing, "The times they are a changing."

In relation to folks of Irish decent they're all over Sheffield, there's not been a distinct Irish community in one place for decades! At the turn of the century the Scotland St / West bar area i.e St Vincent' s parish saw a lot of irish immigrants but that's long gone. As for the Arbourthorne Hotel I can remember the top room and some great parties in the 70's at that place..................admittedly I was a kid!

That's not strictly true bulldog. There was an Irish community in Sheffield in the 50s and 60s, particularly nurses at the northern general and a lot of road building navvies lived in the area around Upperthorpe/Hillsborough.

You could maybe go down to the Dog & Partridge or The Grapes on Trippet Lane in town, they are both full of the Irish, always great places to be.

Hi folks and thanks for your comments, unfortunately nobody has answered my question !!

Hi folks and thanks for your comments, unfortunately nobody has answered my question !!

No they don't drink there because they've pulled the sodding thing down! :loopy: