Hypnosis on the nhs

Health??

Irrational fears and phobia's should NOT be treated on the NHS.

What about someone who is suffering from agoraphobia, and they're unable to leave their house?

Irrational fears and phobia's should NOT be treated on the NHS.

For what reasons?

For what reasons?

There's rational and then there's irrational fears.. Why on earth should irrational fears be treated on the already over stretched NHS?

If it's down to mental health then I'm sure it's all encompassing with the treatments that are already offered. If it's because someone is scared of spiders!!! Then no.

the phobia i have is a serious needle phobia people may laugh but to me is serious i am ill and need real help ,i am now a serious diabetic and need to inject but cant , i know now the nhs has problems but i pay into this country and have done since leaving school i just needed a bit of advice and help which may just save my life !

the phobia i have is a serious needle phobia people may laugh but to me is serious i am ill and need real help ,i am now a serious diabetic and need to inject but cant , i know now the nhs has problems but i pay into this country and have done since leaving school i just needed a bit of advice and help which may just save my life !

Here here.

I do wish people would get the facts first before making any comments. I know it's a forum and people have their own opinions; but people need to think before they type.

How long have you had Diabetes my dear and is it Type 1 or Type 2? If you don't want to answer this in public please feel free to PM me. :)

i got it when i had my last baby 8 years ago but has progressed to date where now is serious my feet are really bad and just keep denying to myself but i know i need constructive help i feel stupid to have this fear but cant help it i have other health issues and i am not a drain on the nhs like some because of my fears i dont visit so all i ask is people who do not any helpful comments do not reply ty

Is your phobia that bad that you have panic attacks?

And I'm sorry if my comments make anyone feel like I'm attacking people with phobias, because I'm not!

I went to see a hypnotherapist about 5yrs ago to help with my fear of flying, I can't remember how much it was exactly but it was around £40 a session, I had three sessions and I now fly all over the world and no longer have to dope myself up.

I didn't go to the NHS because I would of gotten laughed out of the place!

I have a book that I purchased a few years back and it's all about anxiety and the rational and irrational thought processes, it's a really good book and it's something you should only ever read once and never pick it back up. If you would like it I could forward it on to you if you pm me your address.

i got it when i had my last baby 8 years ago but has progressed to date where now is serious my feet are really bad and just keep denying to myself but i know i need constructive help i feel stupid to have this fear but cant help it i have other health issues and i am not a drain on the nhs like some because of my fears i dont visit so all i ask is people who do not any helpful comments do not reply ty

Ok, in my opinion this should come under clinical hypnotherapy. It's got to be worth it by explaining to your Doctor or the NHS and if they have any sense it should be treated because of the potential consequences you explained.

Be free from being stupid. It's stupid if anyone suggested to you it was stupid... that's stupid.

Hypnotherapy was recognised by the BMA in the 1950's but GP's (and most people in the NHS) get zero training on what hypnotherapy actually is and the things it has been proven to help with.

The NHS is beginning to realise that some money spent in the here and now can save millions down the line, that is why they have started doing more gastric band operations. It is better to pay a few thousand now to hopefully help someone change their lifestyle and weight so that 20 years from now they are less likely to be diabetic (for example) as that costs the NHS a LOT more than a gastric op.

At the moment (as far as I am aware) it is impossible to get hypnotherapy on the NHS even though there is a growing evidence base that it definitely does work for some issues (like IBS) and could work for other issues like weight management.

Unfortunately unless your mental health issue (eg. phobia/anxiety/fear) is not causing absolutely huge problems now it is unlikely they will do very much to help.

Private hypnotherapy is a possibility though the cost can prohibit some people from going down this route. There are some hypnotherapists in Sheffield who offer discounted rates to those on low/no income though. Drop me a PM for details about who might be able to do these rates and if there are any specific questions about what hypnosis is (or isn't!) ;-)

There's rational and then there's irrational fears.. Why on earth should irrational fears be treated on the already over stretched NHS?

Because it can be disturbing and debilitating for people, and may cause them further ill health and, at the extreme end, stop them working.

Maybe hypnotherapy could solve a problem that could ultimately cost our "already over stretched NHS" less in the long-term.

thankyou for your replies i have several illnesses which because of my fears of doctors and hospitals and a very severe needle phobia are to a point now that i am really ill and need as much help as possible and my only lifeline is that this somewhere may help me i am a diabetic which as escalated to where now my feet are to a stage are so painful im at risk of loosing them , i have a large lump in my throat the size of a lemon , ibs ,and other problems but people who look from the outside and do not understand people with phobias find it pathetic, i feel pathetic i feel embarrassed what a joke but to me it is real i am just looking for that miracle which i feel does not exist :(

Initially when I first saw your thread,my first thoughts were why not seek private help to rid your phobias and pay for it yourself.The reason for this is that it seems that generally the NHS is looked to rid all ailments no matter what.I am for the NHS dealing with what I feel it was designed for and allow individuals to deal with other personal issues that I will not go into.

My other half works for the NHS who will have nothing said against it.But I asked her opinion of my thoughts.She gave me a valid arguement why mental health issues should be dealt with.

There is no doubt in my mind at all that individuals like you should be given whatever is required to enable a better quality of life.

I hope that you get the sort of help that you require , and soon.Take care and good luck.