"What's the right diet for you?"

The book 'Why French Women Don't Get Fat' is quite good at helping your change the way you eat (for ever) without radical or wacky diet plans. It works for men, too.

I've battled with just about every diet under the sun over the years.

It's more complex than people think, just like glennC is prone to saying silly things some of us are prone to being overweight.

If you are worried about weight gain the bbc site is good for making you think about why you gain weight and pointing you towards the way of eating sustainable to you.

Nobody is prone to being overweight. Some people are prone to eat more than they need and exercise less than they should.

Nobody is prone to being overweight. Some people are prone to eat more than they need and exercise less than they should.

You are right, that's a more accurate way to explain it.

The hormones, genes, psychological reasons that people have do cause them to eat more rather than gain weight easier.

The fact is us portly types actually use MORE calories than slimmer people.

We use more but have the tendency to underestimate how many we have had :(

As some people have said on here, it is will power and exercise that keep the weight off. You need to be able to control portion sizes and get off your backside and exercise regularly. I also watched a program called secret eaters. One woman on there was saying how she ate lots of fruit and veg and didn't over indulge and could not understand why she put weight on. Then the cameras followed her around and she barely touched fruit and veg, drank copious amounts of alcohol and had almost a full days calories in one meal. She was clearly delusional about what she ate. People also need to be honest about what they eat. Not to others, but to themselves.

The book 'Why French Women Don't Get Fat' is quite good at helping your change the way you eat (for ever) without radical or wacky diet plans. It works for men, too.

Unfortunately, I am automatically put off reading books with a bare-faced lie for a title. 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus' is another one.

Unfortunately, I am automatically put off reading books with a bare-faced lie for a title. 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus' is another one.

I take your point. The title is however true (for the most part) of French women who lead the lifestyle (until recent years quite typical) described in the book.

The author does point out that a a growing number of younger French women - the ones who have adopted a more British/American style diet and and (lack of exercise) regime - do tend to put on unhealthy amounts of weight.

What I like about it is that the key features of the eating and exercise 'plan' are all extremely reasonable, based on real food and meals, not junk, alcohol in moderation and exercise which is built in to one's daily life and work (walking, etc). It's nothing wacky or pill-based or 'shakes'-based (bleeeugghh). Lots of fruit and vegetables, a small helping of natural yogurt per day, sensible quantities of bread and other carbs, unsaturated fats. It all makes sense and it suits me.

The real food is eaten in the right proportions and there's a great emphasis on using the best ingredients you can afford as these are more satisfying and you eat less, in the end. Eating more slowly - meals as social/family occasions -it all makes sense.

I agree with you :)

Its lifestyle too. Desk type jobs put the weight on. Standing desks burn 200 more cals per day apparently, could be an option.

Its lifestyle too. Desk type jobs put the weight on. Standing desks burn 200 more cals per day apparently, could be an option.

According to the paleo camp that's the issue.

We move a lot less.

Have more time pressures.

Have the biggest supply of food in mans history.

But our bodies haven't evolved enough yet to manage the changes.

Neh mind though they estimate that it will level out in 30,000 years .... :)

It's hardly a healthy eating plan for a better life, though, is it? The Greed Diet.

Maybe try the Sea Food diet?

[see food. Eat it.]