Queen to hand out Maundy money at Easter In Sheffield

I was listening to radio Sheffield the other day and the people on were talking about how the queen hasn't been to Sheffield before - one of them thought that she visited about 50 or so years ago, but didn't the queen AND prince Phillip come to Sheffield for the opening of the winter gardens in 2003?

It was opened by the Queen..

She has been to Sheffield quite a few times. If you Google 'Sheffield City Council Royal Visit Guide' there is a document that lists all royal visits from 1806 onwards.

It was a dry run, the cars were empty. I was behind them for ages from st Marys gate turned right at old jessops and to west bar they turned right at BMW garage into town

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 14:57 ----------

I remember seeing her in Hillsborough Park when she had her silver jubilee in 1977. She drove round the athletic track and we waved. Got the afternoon off school for that.

She also opened the kop at Hillsborough

Bet she doesn't even know where Sheffield is.

Blue Route - Shalesmoor - University Shuttle

I am VERY pleased to see that. I did not fancy a walk up that hill at all!

But she's going to be giving away money!!....hahaha

only to 89 elderly Christians for services to the church or state.. which tbh is unfair and discriminatory...

Today's recipients of Royal Maundy, as many elderly men and women as there are years in the sovereign's age, are chosen because of the Christian service they have given to the Church and community. At the ceremony which takes place annually on Maundy Thursday, the sovereign hands to each recipient two small leather string purses. One, a red purse, contains – in ordinary coinage – money in lieu of food and clothing; the other, a white purse, contains silver Maundy coins consisting of the same number of pence as the years of the sovereign's age.

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/maundy-money

I think the Royal Family should be abolished - they don't have real power anymore and are only there for tourism now tbh...

The queen mother came to the Town Hall for a civic reception early 60s. I was working as a waiter. I was tasked to serve her a glass of wine.

I said " will you take wine maam"

she said "Thank you dear"

I refilled her glass twice more.

The wine was Chambolle Musigny 1955.

Im posh me.

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 17:15 ----------

only to 89 elderly Christians for services to the church or state.. which tbh is unfair and discriminatory...

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/maundy-money

I think the Royal Family should be abolished - they don't have real power anymore and are only there for tourism now tbh...

and the tourism brings in billions. what would you replace them with Joey Essex?

The queen mother came to the Town Hall for a civic reception early 60s. I was working as a waiter. I was tasked to serve her a glass of wine.

I said " will you take wine maam"

she said "Thank you dear"

I refilled her glass twice more.

The wine was Chambolle Musigny 1955.

Im posh me.

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 17:15 ----------

and the tourism brings in billions. what would you replace them with Joey Essex?

Keeping the royal family costs more than the tourism brings in..

it's not only the day to day runnings of the palace and other residencies, but re-routing traffic and closing off roads during events, security and road closures for royal visits across the country etc, blah blah blah.. think about it all and add it together i'm sure it'll come to way more than the tourism actually brings in...

Not that old chestnut again! :rolleyes:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDgQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F1986%2F12%2F02%2Fscience%2Fmajor-personality-study-finds-that-traits-are-mostly-inherited.html&ei=F-kbVaagLcLC7gawlICoAg&usg=AFQjCNFL4Qe-tK9tsgzFQK96mtU-FdVx-w&bvm=bv.89744112,d.ZGU

Explain why the UK had a tourist visitor total of 31.2 million with a monarchy, whilst Germany got 31.5 million and France - the most visited country in the world - got 84.7 million without either having one?

Do you think that every single one of our 31.2 million visitors got to actually see the queen or one of her family?

Because unless you do think that then it would indicate that royalty have very little influence on our visitor numbers wouldn't it?

Who knows, if tourists could actually gain access and have a guided tour around all the royal palaces we may get more visitors.

Which together with the saving on royal expenditure would see us quids in, wouldn't it?

Keeping the royal family costs more than the tourism brings in..

it's not only the day to day runnings of the palace and other residencies, but re-routing traffic and closing off roads during events, security and road closures for royal visits across the country etc, blah blah blah.. think about it all and add it together i'm sure it'll come to way more than the tourism actually brings in...

I'm sure all will become apparent tomorrow if no one turns up to see the monarch you will be proved right. In the meantime perhaps we should be happy that Sheffield will get a positive image sent out to the world if the TV companies turn up to film it.

Edited by Bigthumb