Queen to hand out Maundy money at Easter In Sheffield

I will speak about what I want. Who are you? The Police?

To be fair, the thread is about a royal visit in Sheffield, we have all gone way off topic and started speaking in general terms about the Monarchy.

And he is a Moderator, so probably worth paying attention to!

I don't feel inferior or grovel or forelock tug..I know there are countries above us with no royals but your argument was that having them held us back..obviously it's more than the royals doing that if countries with royalty are above us..

What I said was that it is the class system and snobbery in general that is one of the things holding us back, and that the royals are an embodiment of it.

One of my brother-in-laws is a highly qualified engineer, a number of years back he visited Germany in order to demonstrate and lecture on some machinery that he had helped design and build here in Sheffield.

He was totally amazed at the respect shown to him by the people he met because of his qualifications and expertize.

The Germans value engineering skill and appreciate the effect that it has on the economy.

We - generally speaking - do not, an engineer is seen as some bloke in oily overalls who should use the rear entrance and wipe his feet before entering the building.

Germany produces some of the finest engineering in the world and their economy benefits from it.

This country at one time could compete on a par with Germany.

We prefer to make our money without getting our hands dirty and regard bankers and The City as somehow superior to people who possess genuine skill and ingenuity.

Obviously that is a generalization but there is truth in it none the less.

As for you not feeling inferior that's up to you, but you can be assured that royalty and the aristocracy in general regard you as inferior.

You are after all a 'subject' are you not?

From the word subjugate meaning to conquer and control.

Not that old chestnut again! :rolleyes:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDgQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F1986%2F12%2F02%2Fscience%2Fmajor-personality-study-finds-that-traits-are-mostly-inherited.html&ei=F-kbVaagLcLC7gawlICoAg&usg=AFQjCNFL4Qe-tK9tsgzFQK96mtU-FdVx-w&bvm=bv.89744112,d.ZGU

Explain why the UK had a tourist visitor total of 31.2 million with a monarchy, whilst Germany got 31.5 million and France - the most visited country in the world - got 84.7 million without either having one?

Do you think that every single one of our 31.2 million visitors got to actually see the queen or one of her family?

Because unless you do think that then it would indicate that royalty have very little influence on our visitor numbers wouldn't it?

Who knows, if tourists could actually gain access and have a guided tour around all the royal palaces we may get more visitors.

Which together with the saving on royal expenditure would see us quids in, wouldn't it?

It rains here, its covered with litter, it hard to get a visa, there are true horrors, like scotsmen, The queens ok, leave her alone.

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 14:45 ----------

What I said was that it is the class system and snobbery in general that is one of the things holding us back, and that the royals are an embodiment of it.

One of my brother-in-laws is a highly qualified engineer, a number of years back he visited Germany in order to demonstrate and lecture on some machinery that he had helped design and build here in Sheffield.

He was totally amazed at the respect shown to him by the people he met because of his qualifications and expertize.

The Germans value engineering skill and appreciate the effect that it has on the economy.

We - generally speaking - do not, an engineer is seen as some bloke in oily overalls who should use the rear entrance and wipe his feet before entering the building.

Germany produces some of the finest engineering in the world and their economy benefits from it.

We prefer to make our money without getting our hands dirty and regard bankers and The City as somehow superior to people who possess genuine skill and ingenuity.

As for you not feeling inferior that's up to you, but you can be assured that royalty and the aristocracy in general regard you as inferior.

Actually I agree about the Germans they like people who can build tanks. Also we cant teach them a great deal about subjugation or control, they are well into that. (ask any Pole).

We are set to overtake them economically by 2025 I believe, how do you feel about that?

How much was in them purses she were handing out, probably the same equivlent to 900 years ago, next to nowt.:hihi:

It rains here, its covered with litter, it hard to get a visa, there are true horrors, like scotsmen, The queens ok, leave her alone.

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 14:45 ----------

Actually I agree about the Germans they like people who can build tanks. Also we cant teach them a great deal about subjugation or control, they are well into that. (ask any Pole).

We are set to overtake them economically by 2025 I believe, how do you feel about that?

I don't think the queen is unduly troubled by my disapproval of the institution. :)

Anyway you're right as far as she's concerned, she knows how to play the game, wait til Charles gets in!

I don't think that we are in any position to make smart remarks about subjugating people.

Ask 25% of the world.

As to how I shall feel, if I'm still here I shall be absolutely delighted of course, why wouldn't I be?

My grandson will be approaching working age and his sister won't be too far away. :)

You are a happy lot, and how you hate so easily. It really grinds you down doesnt it, when the head of the nation visits our city, a celebration of our freedom, our prosperity and the fact we have won life's greatest lottery. We are British.

How much happier you would be living in a tent in the Sudan, why don't you go?

The only reason she is hanging on so long is, so Big Ears doesn't a get a chance, where does Noddy fit in to this Dynsty.:hihi:

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 14:11 ----------

You are a happy lot, and how you hate so easily. It really grinds you down doesnt it, when the head of the nation visits our city, a celebration of our freedom, our prosperity and the fact we have won life's greatest lottery. We are British.

How much happier you would be living in a tent in the Sudan, why don't you go?

Just keep kidding your self, they've been doing it for years.:huh::roll:

Edited by PRESLEY

I saw the queen drive down Shoreham st! Brilliant to have her in Sheffield!

I think how marvellous Britain has a world class monarchy to unite the nation and make it feel proud and raise its head abroad ! Many other nations are envious - long live the Queen and may she outlast Queen Victorias reign in September !

Tugs my forelock , bows and leaves !:love:

I really couldn't care what the "aristocracy" think of me...I don't waste my time worrying about it....I have far more important and interesting things to do....maybe you should get a hobby? :)

I saw the queen drive down Shoreham st! Brilliant to have her in Sheffield!

Na Na Na Na, she's a Blade and she's a Blade! :D