Queen to hand out Maundy money at Easter In Sheffield

Keeping the royal family costs more than the tourism brings in..

Wonder what Obama costs the 'states..we'd still have to have a head of state wouldn't we?

Wonder what Obama costs the 'states..we'd still have to have a head of state wouldn't we?

We would only need ceremonial head of state, much like Germany has, they don't need to be expensively high profile. Off the top of my head I couldn't name one post-war German President.

Where did I say they were coming to "see the queen"?

I assume you have done some research then, so please tell us how many tourists would no longer visit if we had no current monarchy.

Think I read somewhere that the monarchy costs the taxpayer something stupid like 50p a year

Ah yes, here it is:

http://news.sky.com/story/1289418/royal-family-costs-taxpayer-56p-per-person

Hardly a lot, is it?

Royalists claim that having a royal family is good - even essential - to the tourist industry.

Commonsense says it wouldn't make much difference either way, and may even boost tourism because they would have access to more sights.

How much it costs is immaterial as far as I'm concerned, persisting with such an archaic institution in this day and age is ridiculous.

One of the main reasons for this country not performing as it should do ( given our record of innovation and creativity over the years ) is the class system.

The idea that some people are entitled to extra privilege simply because they were born into a certain section of society is both ridiculous and damaging to our economy. Royalty and all the nonsense that goes with it is the embodiment of that problem.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CD8QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FList_of_countries_by_GNI_%2528PPP%2529_per_capita&ei=7zIdVduALvCy7QbIyYBg&usg=AFQjCNEdtSdfVAr-43ATmWgmO8Vzp-Ggdw&bvm=bv.89744112,d.ZGU&cad=rja

Scroll down to the second list and explain why, given this countries past assets advantage we aren't higher up that list.

Scroll down to the second list and explain why, given this countries past assets advantage we aren't higher up that list.

Could you explain why having a Royal Family is the reason we are in that position? Norway,Sweden,Belgium,Luxembourg,Denmark are above us in that list and they have Royal Families..

Where did I say they were coming to "see the queen"?

I assume you have done some research then, so please tell us how many tourists would no longer visit if we had no current monarchy.

Think I read somewhere that the monarchy costs the taxpayer something stupid like 50p a year

Ah yes, here it is:

http://news.sky.com/story/1289418/royal-family-costs-taxpayer-56p-per-person

Hardly a lot, is it?

I'd be happy to pay ten times that to keep the monarchy

God save the Queen!

A fiver a year is still a bargain.

Well you pay it then because I don't want to

Could you explain why having a Royal Family is the reason we are in that position? Norway,Sweden,Belgium,Luxembourg,Denmark are above us in that list and they have Royal Families..

Maybe those other countries aren't quite as forelock tugging and subservient to their royalty?

Don't the Scandinavian royals ride around amongst the general public on bicycles?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBicycle_monarchy&ei=TjsdVZ-tPIOuUaijgKAI&usg=AFQjCNEzxS-AHyEjT3H7TCfvsrFQJe5K-w&bvm=bv.89744112,d.d24&cad=rja

Wouldn't do for our serf like monarchists would it? Any opportunity to grovel must be seized.

Perhaps therefore the population in those countries don't feel inferior and class snobbery doesn't have the effect that it still has in this country?

Also perhaps their type of monarchical system does not lay claim to all the land of the country and the people feel happy enough that what's theirs really is theirs?

Also above us on that list were;

Singapore

Switzerland

USA

Austria

Germany

Finland

France

Ireland

None of those have royal families and several of them disposed of them.

Maybe those other countries aren't quite as forelock tugging and subservient to their royalty?

Don't the Scandinavian royals ride around amongst the general public on bicycles?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBicycle_monarchy&ei=TjsdVZ-tPIOuUaijgKAI&usg=AFQjCNEzxS-AHyEjT3H7TCfvsrFQJe5K-w&bvm=bv.89744112,d.d24&cad=rja

Wouldn't do for our serf like monarchists would it? Any opportunity to grovel must be seized.

Perhaps therefore the population in those countries don't feel inferior and class snobbery doesn't have the effect that it still has in this country?

Also perhaps their type of monarchical system does not lay claim to all the land of the country and the people feel happy enough that what's theirs really is theirs?

Also above us on that list were;

Singapore

Switzerland

USA

Austria

Germany

Finland

France

Ireland

None of those have royal families and several of them disposed of them.

I don't feel inferior or grovel or forelock tug..I know there are countries above us with no royals but your argument was that having them held us back..obviously it's more than the royals doing that if countries with royalty are above us..

I never said that people go to a country based on its size at all. However in the developed world the bigger the country the more attractions it will have.

Would getting rid of the monarchy reduce tourism, yes it would but to what extent would be impossible to predict it would depend on what happened to the royal sites around the country. It may also be possible that managed right that it could increase tourist appeal but I can't think of a good example of how a potential asset such as Buckingham Palace has been managed well as far as tourism goes in UK.

Having lived outside of UK for a dozen years or more I have seen and listened to various counties citizens who in the majority are jealous of our Monarchy.

I agree not many actually get to see a royal, but a fair few visit royal sites not just in London but all over UK, if the Monarchy was to go then the attraction of visiting these sites may also wain a little.

I believe that we should keep the Monarchy as it part of what makes Great Britain great. Yes it should be the core Royals who are provided for by the state and not the extended royalty. Its part of our heritage and something that we should be proud of, not everything has to be about making or saving money.

Illogical how do you explain that ? I and my employers past and present value my logic as it forms a core role within my career.

So it's all about the size of the country?

People look at an atlas and go " Ooh look at the Size of that country " we must go there!

How do you manage to explain that although France attracts more tourists than any other country in the world it is only the 42nd largest country?

It has been my experience that royalists aren't very good at logic, how could they be, they are in favour of retaining a completely illogical anachronistic institution well past it's sell by date?

Clinging on to garbage such as " they bring in millions in tourist revenue " is all they can think of as a justification for Ruritanian nonsense.

As I already said in an earlier post, of the 32.1 million visitors we had in 2013 how many of them got to see the queen or a member of her family?

No more than a few thousand or so I would guess, because if it was any more there would have been huge crowd problems and we'd have heard about it, wouldn't we?

This thread is not about Governments nor on whether Monarchy is or isn't a good idea.

Please stay on topic.

I will speak about what I want. When I want. Who are you? The Police?