DS Taekwondo in Crookes- any opinions?

I've been considering starting Taekwondo- haven't done any martial arts for years, but used to do a good bit of ju-jitsu. This club is pretty near me, and I see the banner outside every time I'm on the bus.

Has anyone been here or train regularly? I've had a look at their website, and it seems like a good club. They are part of the TAGB, which from what google tells me is similar to ITF- bit worried that they don't seem to use mats though! :o

Any opinions/advice would be much appreciated! I know very little about Taekwondo, or what I should be looking for...

Don't know anything about the club so can't comment. It really depends on what your looking for. If it's for fitness then go for it. If self defence then maybe look elsewhere.

Having said that the promotional video looks like they incorporate some self defence.

I'de go check it out and see what you think, no martial arts club will make you feel unwelcome as it's not in there interest to do so.

As for using mats unless you are getting continually slammed on the floor as I suppose you would in ju-jitsu then not really any need for them. Also not mats is good for the old conditioning aspect. After all there are no mats on West Street on Saturday night

Don't know anything about the club so can't comment. It really depends on what your looking for. If it's for fitness then go for it. If self defence then maybe look elsewhere.

Having said that the promotional video looks like they incorporate some self defence.

I'de go check it out and see what you think, no martial arts club will make you feel unwelcome as it's not in there interest to do so.

As for using mats unless you are getting continually slammed on the floor as I suppose you would in ju-jitsu then not really any need for them. Also not mats is good for the old conditioning aspect. After all there are no mats on West Street on Saturday night

Thanks for your reply. I'm mainly looking for fitness, while learning a new skill (I also just kind of miss martial arts). I don't think I'm hugely interested in sparring, as I have a few old injuries, but I'm sure I wouldn't be forced to compete or anything.

As for the mats, I was more concerned about the video showing people doing sit-ups etc on the hard ground, and also landing heavily without any give can't be good for joints?? But I realise that you probably spend significantly less time on the ground compared to ju-jitsu!

Hi

If it helps at all: The TAGB are members of the governing body for Taekwondo in the Uk - The British Taekwondo Council - and are very well respected. Sparring is semi contact as opposed to full contact WTF Olympic style.

In terms of cost: My advise, with any martial art, would be not to sign any contract that binds you to that club for any length of time. Pay as you train or pay monthly.