Eric Pickles letter to Muslim leaders

Eric Pickles upsets MCB with letter to 1000 Islamic leaders, the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) raised objections to their community being singled out.

In the letter Pickles wrote: “You, as faith leaders, are in a unique position in our society. You have a precious opportunity, and an important responsibility, in explaining and demonstrating how faith in Islam can be part of British identity.

“All of us have a responsibility to try and confront this radicalisation, and make sure we stop young people being drawn into this poisonous, fanatical death cult that a very small minority of people have created.

The letter added, “British values are Muslim values”, and the country would be diminished without Islam and its “message of peace and unity”.

“We must show our young people, who may be targeted, that extremists have nothing to offer them. We must show them that there are other ways to express disagreement, that their right to do so is dependent on the very freedoms that extremists seek to destroy."

“We must show them the multitude of statements of condemnation from British Muslims, show them these men of hate have no place in our mosques or any place of worship, and that they do not speak for Muslims in Britain or anywhere in the world.

“Let us assure you that the government will do all we can to defeat the voices of division, but ultimately the challenges of integration and radicalisation cannot be solved from Whitehall alone. Strong community-based leadership at a local level is needed.

“Every day, mosques and other faith institutions across the country are providing help for those in need, and acting as a centre for our communities. It is these positive contributions that are the true messages of faith and it is these contributions that need to be promoted.”

Seems fair enough.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/david-cameron-backs-eric-pickles-letter-muslim-leaders#start-of-comments

Eric Pickles upsets MCB with letter to 1000 Islamic leaders, the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) raised objections to their community being singled out.

Seems fair enough.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/david-cameron-backs-eric-pickles-letter-muslim-leaders#start-of-comments

That's bound to get Muslims on side, a letter from a c of e (I presume) government minister who to top it off looks like a pig. I'm assuming the letters he wrote to every Catholic church asking them to stop abusing children all got lost in the post.

As much as it pains me to admit it I think the Tories are pitching this about right.

A little part of me dies when I think about just how messed up things have become.

We need some plain, blunt discussion about how we move forward.

Because I can't help it I will also add sat on their hands last three years electioneering blah blah

Edited by Stranza
Typo

As I heard it on the news the MC is particularly annoyed about one particular phrase, it seems like nitpicking to me and quite unhelpful in the spirit of what Pickles is actually trying to achieve. I think he is right in seeking dialogue and from what I heard from the few muslims that were interviewed about it, they agree.

very reasonable and measured and hopefully it will be acted upon, any who dont act upon it then we know which camp they are in.

very reasonable and measured and hopefully it will be acted upon, any who dont act upon it then we know which camp they are in.

That's the whole point..avoiding "camps". (them and us)

As I heard it on the news the MC is particularly annoyed about one particular phrase, it seems like nitpicking to me and quite unhelpful in the spirit of what Pickles is actually trying to achieve. I think he is right in seeking dialogue and from what I heard from the few muslims that were interviewed about it, they agree.

According to this it's the "implication that radicalisation takes place in mosques" that the MCB are annoyed about= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30877447

Nothing wrong with the letter in my opinion.....

According to this it's the "implication that radicalisation takes place in mosques" that the MCB are annoyed about= http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30877447

Ah right, I only saw the two minute news item. I agree that this is the wrong implication, however the mosques are by default places of congregation for muslims and therefore it is not odd the government considers them the ideal spokespeople for finding a way to resolve this issue.

Let me put it this way: I'd rather the government opened dialogue than that it kept on pointing muted fingers.

Probably what they see as normal we see as extremism.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/dispatches-undercover-mosque/

extensive investigation Dispatches reveals how a message of hatred and segregation is being spread throughout the UK an undercover reporter joined worshippers to find a message of religious bigotry and extremism being preached.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2007/jan/07/broadcasting.channel4

An undercover investigation has revealed disturbing evidence of Islamic extremism at a number of Britain's leading mosques and Muslim institutions, including an organisation praised by the Prime Minister.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-new-preachers-of-hate-446268

EXCLUSIVE: A 10-month undercover investigation into home-grown extremism has revealed hard-line Islamic fundamentalism being preached in British mosques.

IN a dilapidated mosque, half a dozen awestruck young men listen to a preacher spell out his vision for Britain.

"King, Queen, House of Commons... if you accept it, you are a part of it," says Dr Ijaz Mian. "If you don't accept it, you have to dismantle it.

"So you being a Muslim, you have to fix a target. There will be no House of Commons. From that White House to this Black House, we know we have to dismantle it.

"Muslims must grow in strength... then take over."

A 10-month undercover investigation into home-grown extremism has revealed hard-line Islamic fundamentalism being preached in British mosques.

Some speakers call for girls to be hit if they don't wear Islamic dress and say that they can marry before puberty, others praise the Taliban.

It's the classic way of avoiding the original subject.

After all, look at how discussions on Sheffield Forum end up with people discussing spelling mistakes in posts when they can't actually formulate a proper reason why they don't like the subject matter they are replying to.