Plastering over wallpaper

Those diy steam strippers are not good enough to take woodchip off especially if its been on for years. Go out and hire a heavy duty one, then get the walls plastered.

The paints rock hard with multiple Coates on.... It's in a knackered old house that's not been refurbished since the 80's at best... Even the doors have been wood chipped... It's awfull,. I don't even want to try n get it off... Been there done it before,I'm going to scim one wall and see what happens.

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 17:48 ----------

Woodchip is horrid stuff, but it really does need to come off to get a decent finish.

I think the only worse one I've seen is a place my mates moved into, where some nut-job had artex'd the walls :o

I have artex... Wood vaneer paneling.. Skirting boards and Dado rails in varnish and woodchip including the door in every room.

It's not where I live by the way!... I live in a nice clean house.... It's just some crappy house I've bought that some old dears lived in.

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 17:58 ----------

One rooms got woodchip on the ceiling aswell as 4 walls... And the door! ... Aswell as the staircase ceiling...

Edited by notepad

Quote by XT500: steamers are slow and rubbish and often make things a sticky mess.Waste of money.

That is quite wrong. I have a cheap one, bought second hand and have completely stripped two properties of wood chip and anaglypta. I suppose it is hard work but steamers work very well and make it easier. No sticky mess here and my steamer was a bargain.

Score it and then steam it.

If a jobs worth doing then do it right as the saying goes.:D

Want setting fire to ...... Not doing right

That is quite wrong. I have a cheap one, bought second hand and have completely stripped two properties of wood chip and anaglypta. I suppose it is hard work but steamers work very well and make it easier. No sticky mess here and my steamer was a bargain.

yes its hard work.

Score it and soak it,it will fall off and far far quicker and easier than a steamer ever will.

If you want to think different crack on,you can only lead the horse to water lol

---------- Post added 20-01-2015 at 18:05 ----------

My my,you stripped a whole TWO propertys

I bow to your vast experience then lol.There was a time i stripped 2 or 3 houses a day,everyday ........

Edited by Xt500

Or the underlying, old, poor quality plaster will.

Old woodchip seems to be either very easy or very difficult to remove, never in between.

This lad is very knowolagble so take notice to save hard work. Buy a cheap steamer [b Q] fill it with a mixture 50 -50 uvpca and water put in steamer apply to walls and doors and leave 24 hrs . this will adhere paper to wall ./ Rodger Lemonds and out. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Your attitude to the work is wrong Notepad.

Have some pride.

A little extra effort and you may be glad you did.

That's a woman's point of view.

I'm not cross with you too much. x

Hmm, not sure adding anything to the water in a steam stripper is wise. wont the (whatever you add into water) cause a problem with the element. when water boils its only the water that evaporates and the rest is left in the machine. Just sounds dangerous advice to me spider.

Well.... Update!

I've started to try n get it off.

And realy not enjoying myself.

---------- Post added 21-01-2015 at 11:16 ----------

:cry:Thanks for the advice everybody......

Although you did shatter my dreams

:cry::cry:

This lad is very knowolagble so take notice to save hard work. Buy a cheap steamer [b Q] fill it with a mixture 50 -50 uvpca and water put in steamer apply to walls and doors and leave 24 hrs . this will adhere paper to wall ./ Rodger Lemonds and out. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

And then throw the steamer out?