Re home a dog from animal sanctuary

I have had no issues at all rescuing two dogs, with both of us working full time.

However, I have made it clear that I am fully prepared (and do) pay for someone to come and walk them around lunchtime. It's not cheap, but it's well worth it to give them a good quality of life. I couldn't have them if I didn't have a dog walker.

I have been more than happy to pay for adoption fees, because it's so easy to see where the money goes. My last rescue, I actually paid more voluntarily as an adoption fee, because I didn't feel the adoption fee was enough given what they'd already done for him (neuter, a couple of vets appointments etc, and rented a kennel for him for the time he was with them). When you see the costs these guys rack up in vets bills/kennel bills etc, I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with a 'high' adoption fee.

I paid more than £200 for my rescues, and would do again if the time came one of mine departed. The rescues put so much time and effort into looking after the sick dogs that come in, sit with them round the clock when they're too Ill to be left, de flea nd worm, vaccinate, not to mention fuel and other running costs.

I disagree with those who say if you can't afford the price you can't look after a dog, what's n insurance policy for then? One of my rescues was totally free, handed over from someone that couldn't be bothered to house train him, doesn't mean I can't afford to take care of him.

I have also come across several rescues who will not rehome to anyone who works full time. Even if you have a dog walker or go home each day on your lunch break

It is such a shame really as most people these days have to work full time. In an ideal world yes it would be best for every single dog to have company most of the day but with most people having to work full time its just not possible

I would rather work full time and know I can provide a dog with whatever that dog needs in terms of vets fees, insurance, quality food, grooming etc. Or would it be worse to rehome to someone on benefits who is at home but cant afford to pay for vet care/injections/worming etc and feeds it on 'value' dog food

Rain rescue are one of the fairly few rescues that judge each case on its own merits although I do know of others that do as well, I also know that they do home to people working full time as my Sister works and had a dog from them.

The problem is that its not every dog that would be suitable or happy in that situation so it takes a special and rarer dog for that type of home, obviously the person must have something in place for a toilet break etc.

Regarding the re-homing fee, well just look at what you are getting for the money, compare it with the cost if you did it all yourself and you will see that really you are getting it all very cheaply indeed.

The Rain Rescue Post seems to suggest that they won't rehome dogs to working people. Please correct me if I am wrong

I got my latest dog from Rain Rescue and both my partner and I work so no this isn`t true. The adoption fee was £185 for him and he had been neutered, microchipped and had his injections. I paid nearly £100 for my last dog just to be neutered so the adoption fee was worth it. :)

Edited by Jackie2141

I paid more than £200 for my rescues, and would do again if the time came one of mine departed. The rescues put so much time and effort into looking after the sick dogs that come in, sit with them round the clock when they're too Ill to be left, de flea nd worm, vaccinate, not to mention fuel and other running costs.

I disagree with those who say if you can't afford the price you can't look after a dog, what's n insurance policy for then? One of my rescues was totally free, handed over from someone that couldn't be bothered to house train him, doesn't mean I can't afford to take care of him.

We have owned dogs for fourteen years and looked at insurance costs and excess levels. All except one of our vets fees have come under the excess fee so insurance isn't always a help. We had to take our young dog to the vets several times for minor things. We could afford it but it would have put pressure on someone relying on insurance to cover the vets bills.

Sheffield dog pound - we got our last 2 dogs from there think it was £65/70 a few yrs ago but are great dogs , don't rain rescue n others get theres from dog pound as well?

Rain Rescue take their dogs in from what is ever deemed as a 'crisis' situation. i.e. the dog has nobody anywhere else to help it - which is about 80% of their dogs coming in from dog pounds. We can take a few of the dogs (last year we saved 400 dogs) but we have to leave many behind.

When dogs come into our care, we do a lot of work with them - and provide any and all veterinary treatment they need. Ted an emaciated mastiff that was taken out of a house of grime had come to us at 26kg. He is now 50kg and looking well. However he's having problems with his back end sporadically collapsing. What should we do? We couldn't rehome him with an unknown problem - but anyone could have picked him out of the dog pound like that - but we are treating him and he's just had an MRI scan and he's on medication. At the end if he's well enough to be rehomed we will find a suitable home for him. Thats where the hard part and where all the time comes in.

The dogs in Rain Rescue's care all get walked every single day and then let out of their kennels after tea for toilet every single day. We know our dogs as well as can be done in this environment.

This all costs money to do. However, we work on the dogs everyone wants and that are easy to rehome will get a rehoming fee that goes towards our costs. Those that will struggle in rescue but where we find a good home - if they genuinely can't afford the fee but can afford ongoing bills which some can and often if they have had a dog from us before we know they can - then we don't ask a fee.

Our funding comes in from our shops and our supporters thats how we keep on going and doing what we do. I am not trying to justify any costs within Rescue. I am always saying that soon there will be no rescues around in South Yorkshire for people to slate off, simply because the problem of dumped animals is too great for small welfare groups to cope with when they have no guaranteed income to pay the bills.

Olga - how I loved that girl she lived in our office for months and was a darling. However she would happily sleep all day on the sofa awaiting your return. She also had sore hips and so couldn't go out a lot, and so didn't need to be busy and was happy on the settee. We try to find the right home for the right dog and the right dog for the right home. Its not easy but we never want to see our pets in crisis situations again and so just keep on trying.

Rainrescue - it wasent a dig or anything , I know how hard it is for Dogpound and all rescue places , and to be fair more funding should be given in opinion , but as we all know it wont be.

Just wish at times anyone that would like a dog check out there local rescue places first so many need homes for a number of reasons . Keep doing great work I say to you all

From reading through all the posts it seems it boils down to two main solutions.

Get your dog from a rescue (prices variable) & you get a dog that's been health checked, usually neutered & inoculated, temperament checked & full back up & support from the rescue plus your donation goes towards helping another dog.

Get your dog from a backyard breeder or Internet site (prices free upwards) & you get a dog that you don't know its temperament, usually not neutered, inoculated or health checks (you need to add these amounts to your price as well as any possible health defects that were conveniently not mentioned) you get no back up support from the seller & your contributing to more cruel backyard/puppy farmers & those that buy & sell animals on the internet.

obviously there are the exceptions to the above but can you guarantee just by the "seems a nice person living in a nice house" that this person is someone you can trust?

Or you can be really selfish as there's nothing more self rewarding then knowing not only have you saved your new family member but you have contributed towards saving others.

:clap:

From reading through all the posts it seems it boils down to two main solutions.

Get your dog from a rescue (prices variable) & you get a dog that's been health checked, usually neutered & inoculated, temperament checked & full back up & support from the rescue plus your donation goes towards helping another dog.

Get your dog from a backyard breeder or Internet site (prices free upwards) & you get a dog that you don't know its temperament, usually not neutered, inoculated or health checks (you need to add these amounts to your price as well as any possible health defects that were conveniently not mentioned) you get no back up support from the seller & your contributing to more cruel backyard/puppy farmers & those that buy & sell animals on the internet.

obviously there are the exceptions to the above but can you guarantee just by the "seems a nice person living in a nice house" that this person is someone you can trust?

Or you can be really selfish as there's nothing more self rewarding then knowing not only have you saved your new family member but you have contributed towards saving others.

:clap::clap:

I got my boy from Rain Rescue and paid £150 for him. He is without doubt the most loving dog I have ever had!!! He would gladly sit on my lap all day, he sleeps on the bed and if he is cold, in it!!!! I support them in any way I can.