Living on your own

I am over 50 years old, and have lived without a partner for all but 1 year of my adult life. I guess this is unusual. I do have a daughter.

I have always yearned for a partner, but hardly ever got there. I have a girl friend at the moment, of around 5 months, and would love it to work out, but I am struggleing to know what a normal relationship is like. We were very close, but our lives are now busy with our families/homes. I have rarely felt lonely before, but I do now. Just thought that I would share my thoughts, as some threads can be very similar.

Sometime even when we have lots of people around us we can still feel so lonely. A normal relationship can be wonderful one day and argue the next. Relax and try enjoy, its perfectly normal feelings. Get on with it stop over thinking , analysing, questioning things.

As the above post says being surrounded by people doesn't stop you feeling lonely, and being alone also doesn't necessarily mean you feel lonely, but it's sad you do now feel lonely when you never have before.

I'm 30 and have been with my other half for 8 years and I think we have an excellent relationship. Our relationship is based on love, honesty and friendship.

Don't get me wrong we aren't together 24/7, we both work full time and have our own hobbies but we do enjoy the time we spend together. I guess we are pretty normal in that way but I also see him as my best friend as well as my fiancé and what I will say is that we have a great laugh together. Obviously we sometimes have wrong words, and I don't believe any couple that says they don't-two people cannot agree with each other all of the time.

I trust him 100% and I know he trusts me that way too, we have shared friends and friends of our own. We spend time alone together, nights out with friends and time with both families too and try to have fun whenever we can.

One thing we do have is that we both don't want children so fortunately we sing from the same hymn sheet with that one as I know that subject has caused many arguments in relationships!!

Basically I think a successful relationship needs shared interests as well as interests of our own so you always have something to talk about, you need honesty, trust and laughter, and I think it's very important to tell each other how you feel....we tell each other every day that we love each other and never go to bed on an argument.

I truly hope your relationship works out and you never need feel lonely again!!

I am over 50 years old, and have lived without a partner for all but 1 year of my adult life. I guess this is unusual. I do have a daughter.

I have always yearned for a partner, but hardly ever got there. I have a girl friend at the moment, of around 5 months, and would love it to work out, but I am struggleing to know what a normal relationship is like. We were very close, but our lives are now busy with our families/homes. I have rarely felt lonely before, but I do now. Just thought that I would share my thoughts, as some threads can be very similar.

When im feeling sorry for myself I Look at what I have and be grateful.

A daughter is a great achievement and you do have a girlfriend. You prob have loads of good qualities too. Try and be positive.

I trust him 100% and I know he trusts me that way too, we have shared friends and friends of our own. We spend time alone together, nights out with friends and time with both families too and try to have fun whenever we can.

I do trust our relationship, but due to my lack of experience, I am quite insecure. We both have families, and we havnt yet got to the stage where we are together more. Its her youngest childs birthday tomorrow, so we are apart, it will be nice when things bring us together. I guess I am pushing the relationship forward more than she is, I just need to calm down ;)

I do trust our relationship, but due to my lack of experience, I am quite insecure. We both have families, and we havnt yet got to the stage where we are together more. Its her youngest childs birthday tomorrow, so we are apart, it will be nice when things bring us together. I guess I am pushing the relationship forward more than she is, I just need to calm down ;)

Relax and enjoy the time you do spend together. Every relationship is unique, don't compare yours to others, there are no set timescales. You don't say how old your respective children are, or whether you have met/spent time with each other's kids. If you want to be more involved, maybe mention it to her? I know people are usually cautious when introducing new partners to children, and from experience I know it can be daunting from the other perspective.

Im lonely too. I dont live alone though. I live with an uncaring selfish and sometimes cruel women. Living alone really appeals to me if im honest but i was reckless enough to have children with this women so now im stuck until the youngest is 18.

There is nothing in marriage and having kids for men. Look how many guys do the right thing yet still get taken to the cleaners by callous women and our court system. A woman can treat a man badly, abuse him, even have an affair and still take half the estate and the children.

---------- Post added 18-01-2015 at 11:06 ----------

I think we should be allowed to have civil partnerships like gay people.

There is nothing in marriage and having kids for men. Look how many guys do the right thing yet still get taken to the cleaners by callous women and our court system. A woman can treat a man badly, abuse him, even have an affair and still take half the estate and the children.

---------- Post added 18-01-2015 at 11:06 ----------

I think we should be allowed to have civil partnerships like gay people.

Bit of a misogynist rant there. Any reason for you feeling like that? I think you'll find that bad behaviour within relationships isn't the sole preserve of women. S

Edited by Solitaire

Bit of a misogynist rant there. Any reason for you feeling like that? I think you'll find that bad behavior within relationships isn't the sole preserve of women. S

Where did i say bad behaviour isthe sole preserve of women?

Where did i say bad behaviour isthe sole preserve of women?

You didn't. Where did I say that you did??????????

You didn't. Where did I say that you did??????????

Quote above.

Standing up for mens issues isnt misogynistic.