Help Please GCSE Additional Science Y11

Hi can someone help me please ?

is there a school in Sheffield that will allow my son to do a resit in GCSE Additional Science and also allow him to redo his ISA.

I have found a couple of schools that will allow him redo the exam but not the controlled assessment which i would like him to redo as he got a low mark in this.

He is 15 and did this exam last year,his grade was a "C" which wont allow him to take an A Level in this subject up at his preferred school.

He was in the 2nd highest class in Science out of 10 but just didnt perform over the exam periods.

I have also spoken to the head of his school and tbh hitting a brick wall.

Kind Regards

Guest sibon
Hi can someone help me please ?

is there a school in Sheffield that will allow my son to do a resit in GCSE Additional Science and also allow him to redo his ISA.

I have found a couple of schools that will allow him redo the exam but not the controlled assessment which i would like him to redo as he got a low mark in this.

He is 15 and did this exam last year,his grade was a "C" which wont allow him to take an A Level in this subject up at his preferred school.

He was in the 2nd highest class in Science out of 10 but just didnt perform over the exam periods.

I have also spoken to the head of his school and tbh hitting a brick wall.

Kind Regards

If he is 15, surely he can resit at his present school.

There are private centres but they don't come cheap.

Guest sibon
There are private centres but they don't come cheap.

I don't understand why his present school can't, or won't make provision. It is relatively simple to do.

Yeah surely he can just resit it in May/June, especially as he sat it a year early anyway!

Guest sibon
Yeah surely he can just resit it in May/June, especially as he sat it a year early anyway!

The only issue is the CA, which will take about ten hours to complete. Most schools will have after school sessions to make this happen.

If not, the OP could pay for it.

Have you offered to pay for the exam at your son's school?

Because of changes brought in by Gove only the first exam result grade now counts towards the school's published results data. This means your son's C will count towards the school's results even if he resits and gets an A. Previously schools would put students in for multiple resits in the hope of getting higher results but now the school won't benefit from resit grades they may be refusing because of the cost

I hope you find some way of doing this

His school doesn't allow resists , I have offered to pay but they have declined. If anyone knows of a school or centre locally in Sheffield that allow students under 16

please tell me ...

Regards

Edited by ukheman

As your son has not reached the end of year 11 he is still eligible to take the exam again, regardless of school internal policy.

I would take your request to the chair of the school governors. It will be important to consider what strategies will be taken by both your son and the school to ensure he gets a higher grade. The controlled assessment grade could be a problem, but not unsurmountable.

However, one important warning to consider. If your son has only done double science and then only achieved a C first time around, he is unlikely to be accepted on Biology, Chemistry or Physics A level course due to the entry requirements of the course.

I know this is not your fault as many schools have dropped triple science.

As your son has not reached the end of year 11 he is still eligible to take the exam again, regardless of school internal policy.

I am not sure what you mean by this.

I am not aware of anything that obligates the school to re-enter this pupil.

You will need to find out if he was entered for foundation or higher as well. This is important as if he was only entered for foundation and he is a capable student, then it is grossly unfair to prevent him from achieving the grade that represents his true potential.

Foundation = G to C and Higher = D to A*.

---------- Post added 17-01-2015 at 07:39 ----------

I am not sure what you mean by this.

I am not aware of anything that obligates the school to re-enter this pupil.

No, you are correct. They are not obliged to offer a re-entry. However he is still eligible to be re-entered. It only seems fair to offer this as it is ethically correct to do so. It's not a major problem for the school to provision this either.

I am sure there is more to this story.

They need to consider what evidence is there to suggest there could be an improvement in outcome.

Has there been any additional learning/tuition?

What were his original unit marks?

How far was he away from the next higher grade boundary?

It is possible that the school has assessed all these and made a professional decision that there is insufficient likelihood of improvement to warrant a resit.

Did they sit both Core and Additional in Y10?

Edited by cgksheff