Help Please GCSE Additional Science Y11

thank you previous posters for your replies....

as explained my son was in set 2 out of 10 so should had been a high achiever in this subject.

he has insisted to us that he didnt do well as he lost his confidence he didnt get along with the teacher who themselves doesn't work there anymore

i have spoken to his other teachers and currently he is obtaining high grades in all his other subjects..

i also have had several conversations with the head of faculty for science who seems very helpful the only stumbling block is that the school has a policy of no resits endof...

hence i am desperate to find somewhere before this academic year ends

thank you previous posters for your replies....

as explained my son was in set 2 out of 10 so should had been a high achiever in this subject.

he has insisted to us that he didnt do well as he lost his confidence he didnt get along with the teacher who themselves doesn't work there anymore

i have spoken to his other teachers and currently he is obtaining high grades in all his other subjects..

i also have had several conversations with the head of faculty for science who seems very helpful the only stumbling block is that the school has a policy of no resits endof...

hence i am desperate to find somewhere before this academic year ends

I suggest you submit a formal complaint. If it is the head of science that is the blocker making a complaint that will go to the Headteacher and Governors may help

As a back up I suggest you phone every secondary school in Sheffield to find out what exam board they work with. If you find any that are using the same exam board as your son's school you can then write to the headteacher to ask for their help. Don't forget the private schools too

---------- Post added 17-01-2015 at 13:24 ----------

There are some smaller private schools in Sheffield - might be worth asking if they can help - see info at http://www.sheffieldhelpyourself.org.uk/welfare_search.asp?code1=EDU/SCH

You could also contact the exam board directly to ask for their view

Another idea is to contact Jayne Ludlam (Exec Director Children's Services) or Anthony Hughes (Children's Commissioner) at the Council - see https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/education/about-us/cyps/structure.html

Final suggestion from me - contact your Councillor or MP who will contact the school to ask for their reasons and, hopefully, challenge the decision

Good Luck

If you want to follow that route you might as well start practising your "glum" faces to be ready for the Star photographer.

There are no "rights" involved here.

Personally, I think is probably regrettable, that the son has been pushed through both Core & Additional in Y10.

Some other schools still look at doing Core in Y10 and Additional in Y11.

Some do both in Y11.

I wonder if High Storrs (is it?) will be changing their approach?

However, the son was part of a course that was destined to be examined in the way that they were and I assume that no secret was made of it.

Unless a high proportion of the class/year group blew there controlled assessment, you cannot expect the school to take any responsibility.

The Head has made a decision. You can try and work on the Head and Governors, but if an improved grade is that important, you need to be looking for alternatives fast.

Not many secondary schools will take a student as a private candidate when they are attending another local school.

Some will but the major issue here will be the implementation and marking of the controlled assessment.

I know of a centre in Macclesfield that may be able to handle it, but like I said earlier, it will cost money.

Entries for this summer have to be in by 21st February or you go into late fees as well.

Good luck!

Edited by cgksheff

Hothousing may damage a child for life...

Edited by Mozilla

In my experience Science is the one award you really don't want to be considering for external examination at this late stage.

I would recommend that you try and work with the school but don't suggest that it is the responsibility of them to ensure a higher grade, it might not happen.

He can be entered along with this year's cohort. If the school really digs their heels in, then it might be worth thinking about leaving it until he is in year 12. I'm guessing he won't be going to a sixth form at that school?

If he's the ability you are suggesting other 6th form providers or the college will be happy to have him. At my school we have several students taking GCSE'S in year 12 alongside AS and they usually do fine.

Yes the school is High Storrs...

As previously mentioned i have already spoken to the head and its a simple policy they dont offer resits..

i have come up with suggestions on allowing him to sit the ISA at school but to sit the exam at Silverdale but again they wont allow this...

i had asked the question of having him sit the GCSE next year at a college and allow him to enter on to the A Level, again this was knocked back...

the teachers seem understanding and the head has explain if he allows my son to do a resit they would have a queue of pupils asking the same...

off the grapevine i had been told there is a school in doncaster that will allow him to sit the ISA and exam but its too far..

its been explained to me that silverdale cant allow him to sit the ISA purely down to insurance for my son.

and i dont want to fight the school this late in the day so really just looking for a centre that he can sit both exams.... anyone ??

Edited by ukheman

Yes the school is High Storrs...

As previously mentioned i have already spoken to the head and its a simple policy they dont offer resits..

i have come up with suggestions on allowing him to sit the ISA at school but to sit the exam at Silverdale but again they wont allow this...

i had asked the question of having him sit the GCSE next year at a college and allow him to enter on to the A Level, again this was knocked back...

the teachers seem understanding and the head has explain if he allows my son to do a resit they would have a queue of pupils asking the same...

off the grapevine i had been told there is a school in doncaster that will allow him to sit the ISA and exam but its too far..

its been explained to me that silverdale cant allow him to sit the ISA purely down to insurance for my son.

and i dont want to fight the school this late in the day so really just looking for a centre that he can sit both exams.... anyone ??

A trip to Doncaster too far to allow your child the chance to do the education that he/she wants to hmmmmmmmmm

A trip to Doncaster too far to allow your child the chance to do the education that he/she wants to hmmmmmmmmm

yes because he is still at school so if i can find a local centre it would be alot easier as ideally i would like him to sit in with the full class during some lessons or atleast go to the additional practice lessons that are normally done after school.

Which would NOT be practicable if this was in doncaster..

My son got a C in science and couldn't go to his preferred sixth form, he is in his second year at college doing all the sciences and is under a lot less pressure than his friends who stayed on at school. He was the same obtaing good results but when it came to the exam just seemed to panic, maybe the OP son is the same good in lessons but not in exams.

yes because he is still at school so if i can find a local centre it would be alot easier as ideally i would like him to sit in with the full class during some lessons or atleast go to the additional practice lessons that are normally done after school.

Which would NOT be practicable if this was in doncaster..

Despite my hopefully helpful comments above I think you're asking too much of another school to accept a student to join in lessons / revision sessions - I also think that this is a lot of pressure on your son. I thought you just wanted somewhere to sit the exam

If High Storrs won't let him take the A Levels he wants to take with his current grades you could look at alternative options for A Levels

Despite my hopefully helpful comments above I think you're asking too much of another school to accept a student to join in lessons / revision sessions - I also think that this is a lot of pressure on your son. I thought you just wanted somewhere to sit the exam

If High Storrs won't let him take the A Levels he wants to take with his current grades you could look at alternative options for A Levels

no i dont think your comment was helpful as you was asking me to travel to doncaster with my Son to another school .. which just isnt practicable..

and one of my options is to resit his Science GCSE at another centre...

tbh all the schools in Sheffield we have approached have been very helpful.. the only problem has been this ISA which they cant allow him to do for HSE issues under Insurance..

i dont believe he is under any pressure this Yr.. as he is only sitting 5 GCSEs now since he has now passed several already...

we have spoken to him at length.. and joining his friends at sixth form is something he wants to do... and he wants to continue doing Science

If it so important to you, why are you limiting your options to within Sheffield? ... where I will be surprised if you can find a centre prepared to take this on.