Superfast South Yorkshire

Cheers for the map, Paddy.

Looks like our road is down for next year.

Which is something, I suppose!

I get 37Mbps capped on TalkTalk (which leases the BT infrastructure here I believe), in Hillsborough, with the possibility of uncapping and getting close to 70 Mbps, I am with geared, how does rolling out another fibre network here aid us?

Bit confused about that, it is of course a good thing that it is getting rolled out further away and I suppose the infrastructure everywhere needs a boost to cope with growing demand, so I understand why it needs doing, but I don't see it adding that much for people already on fibre?

It's not another fibre network - just adding onto the areas that BT didn't see commercially viable when they did their own fibre rollout. The Government have given BT lots of cash to do this so that's why it's happening now.

I'm also looking at sometime next year that I'll finally be able to get fibre!!

You've got the wrong end of the stick here. These upgrades are being done by BT and cover areas that BT didn't upgrade in their initial fibre rollout because it wasn't commercially viable for them. However they have been given a huge chunk of cash from the councils to now rollout fibre to these remaining areas.

I'm on the Attercliffe exchange which hasn't been upgraded yet (one of only 2 left in Sheffield not to have been) and am stuck on ADSL broadband. Can't even get Virgin Media.

The map doesn't make good reading for those in the city centre though!

oh right I understand now, thanks.

Attercliffe was missed off because at the time it was served by DR wasn't it??

oh right I understand now, thanks.

Attercliffe was missed off because at the time it was served by DR wasn't it??

No Attercliffe was missed off last time because of the high number of commercial premises who connect to it using very expensive leased lines. BT didn't want to upgrade the exchange because that would have given the businesses in the area a much cheaper option for superfast broadband and so BT would have lost a lot of income from the leased lines. I think I'm right in saying that this is the same reason why the city centre exchange hasn't been upgraded to superfast broadband either!!

Of course I could just be very cynical.

That's the theory. Although a lot of businesses in the city centre have the option of Virgin, so not sure how that works out.

No Attercliffe was missed off last time because of the high number of commercial premises who connect to it using very expensive leased lines. BT didn't want to upgrade the exchange because that would have given the businesses in the area a much cheaper option for superfast broadband and so BT would have lost a lot of income from the leased lines. I think I'm right in saying that this is the same reason why the city centre exchange hasn't been upgraded to superfast broadband either!!

Of course I could just be very cynical.

100% correct. Source? Don't ask ;)

I do not have a way of verifying or disputing this.

I was told today by someone from Talk Talk that Virginmedia's upto 100mb cable broadband service is actually only 50mb as virgin have some devious way of being able to claim double their actual speeds.

I repeat; I do not have a way of verifying or disputing this.

If true it seems alittle unscrupulous of virgin and if false it says quite a lot about talk talk or their representative.

Nope, if anything Virgin stick closer to their claimed download speed. Its their upload speeds that tend to be horribly unreliable in some areas.

Nice one gribz

Phase 2: January - March 2016

At least we have an actual ETA now!