Laycocks Sports Club - New Members Welcome!

I would think if you are having to advertise for members something is seriously wrong and needs to be addressed because the locals have obviously voted with their feet

Nah, just making the most of some free advertising!

Not sure that's permitted on this thread

Not sure that's permitted on this thread

Well let me elaborate... the thread is to spread news on us, changes, new additions to the club, bar, the possible introduction of Real Ale, and ideas on how to make the club better all round, opening with information about Laycocks Sports Club too. :)

---------- Post added 29-01-2015 at 15:52 ----------

:thumbsup::hihi:Be careful on Fraser Road with the snow, and feel free top pop in for a Winter warmer! We're open from 17:00 today, after all, it's only snow!

Is this the one with floodlit football pitches with lights that they dont even turn on when they have football events there? im sure i went to a race night not long back when you didnt bother to turn them on for the kids!!

If you asked then they would have put them on, as you was obviously hiring the court the cost would be £25 per hour same as anyone else.

Has there recently been some shenanigans about the committee and staff at this club?

I know a few regular Laycocks drinkers from Woodseats nowadays seem to prefer the pubs there.

If there has been a few changes it might be a good opportunity to explain them and what improvements both old and new members can expect.

Not to my knowledge, & I work here. We're all working hard at the moment to bring the club forward and a step stronger... Real Ale is one of those ideas, with us being freehold and one of the largest premises in Sheffield 8, we'll have no problem having a lovely hand pull at a very very good price!

There's loads of other new things coming soon, so keep an eye out on the club noticeboard, our facebook page, and on here for all the latest information and new ideas!!...

Part 1;

Real Ale!

What real ale would you like to see on our bar?

Pale ale?

Stout or porter?

Strong or weak percentage?

Fruity?

Bradfield?

Abbeydale?

Wychwood?

3 Rivers?

Let us know what you think... You'll be drinking it! :thumbsup:

hi i play football down lay cocks . they seem pretty relaxed to me but we really only play football down there . but the staff seem friendly enough to deal with and we will remind to play there in winter months . thanks again jeff

Cheers jsmith2009! Our pitches are on hire currently, and we've got a couple of local teams training in the week too - pop in and see the staff, or give us a call most weekdays between 17:00 & 23:00 on 0114 2369104... :D

I would think if you are having to advertise for members something is seriously wrong and needs to be addressed because the locals have obviously voted with their feet

I'm not sure whether thats true or not, however on a more general note I'm not sure a lot of people get what social clubs are about, how much membership is and what you get for your money. Here is a good opportunity to put across what the club has to offer and also for those who aren't currently members but may consider it to put across suggestions as to what would encourage them to join.

From my point of view real ale is an interesting suggestion and could get new people in - although possibly would need to be combined with another attraction.

I have been a regular customer of Laycocks for many years in fact since I worked there many years ago,so feel I can comment on the club and it's members with some knowledge and history.

First off the regular members of the club are very protective of it's integrity as a sports and social club for it's members and guests and do not like it when people on regular occasions abuse the friendliness and welcoming of both staff and membership by frequenting the place without the due fee.

The club needs this financial support,when we had the support of our parent company finances were not a problem,but since we went private we now have to raise money through other means and the committee is working very hard to do this,many things are in the pipeline,improvements to the football pitches are under discussion.We have recently spent a lot of money improving the snooker room.Our sports sections include,darts sections for both men and women Bowls teams,football team and floodlit football training facility.Currently we are providing a function room for parties at no charge with access to a resident DJ.

What I am saying is it's a great little club with some smashing people and great facilities come and have a look at us and find out.

If you dont like sports come and watch one of our 4 tv's available in the bar and concert room areas,I am rather suprised by the comments of 'sheffgrow'did you expect that a race night would be treated as a football activity?we hold many social events in the concert room with lots of kids would you expect that at these events we turn the lights on as a matter of course children are always the responsibility of the parents are you saying that you would have liked for the kids to go running about outside while the parents continued with the race night inside?I can assure you that the lights do work and when the pitch is hired as a football activity the charge is usually £25 per hr.which again is quite reasonable.

It is a fantastic place to come and sit outside in the summer you only have to look whats available for the kids outside,slides,seesaw,childrens activity area,etc come and try it.:love:

Good point Andy C, It's something we're working on at the moment, hopefully within the next 10 days we'll have had some talks and be close to announcing what we are going to have on the bar. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 21-02-2015 at 14:15 ----------

GeorgyGirl, a couple of good points there! We're always looking to make the Club better for the members, and to attract new members... I do think we have one of, if not the biggest beer garden in Sheffield, which is perfect for everyone in the summer! :)

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 12:20 ----------

Pork butties from 13:30 today! With all trimmings AND roast potatoes only £3! When they're gone, they're gone! :thumbsup: