The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Sheffield Ghost Stories & Sightings

I’m not sure I believe in ghosts but I have a couple of stories. I didn’t know about any of these supposed ghosts until I was told about them afterwards. These are both from the 1980s.

One time I was walking down the High Street heading towards Angel Street, roughly where the Banker’s Draft is now. It was broad daylight and this frantic woman in a beige raincoat ran up and stopped me and asked where the nearest telephone was. I said it would probably be down in Fitzalan Square. She said she’s not going down there because of the bombs and I said what bombs? She said those bombs dropping can’t you here them? I said no. She said you’re mad and ran off up the High Street.

Secondly, I had a friend living in a bedsit, 88 Whitham Road. We were playing Cludeo I think and I said don’t cheat, I’m going to the toilet. I got to the bathroom and the door was locked and someone was singing and running the bath inside. So I went back downstairs and said is there another toilet in here? – The house was split up into flats. My mate said no why? I said I couldn’t use the one upstairs because someone was running a bath. My mate said there’s only us (3 people in the kitchen) in the house at the moment and he legged it upstairs with his brother. I only found out what was going on after they came back down stairs.

11 years on.... & this thread is still here with many great stories & debates... Let's hope it's still here in another 11 years with many more local ghost stories to keep us all entertained, & chilled to the bone! Keep up the good work! :)

what a load of rubbish they don't exist and never have,show us the evidence and we may believe ,but no proof,so don't exsist end of for me.

Maybe not ghosts they could be spirits

In this case, have you had any experience with spirits in Sheffield?

In this case, have you had any experience with spirits in Sheffield?

Sir Robin of Locksley Gin is pretty good.

I just signed up here as I recently discovered the Stocksbridge bypass hauntings.

How fascinating.!

I am in Australia and we have a similar stretch of 'supposedly' haunted road, the Wakehurst Parkway that runs from the beachside suburb of Narrabeen to Frenchs Forest in Sydney, NSW.

The area of that road, around a place called 'Deep Creek' is the hotspot.

Lot's of road fatalities over the years and drivers reporting ghostly figures appearing in the back seat as they drive. Mostly concerning a young woman dressed in white.

Also the site of murders, dumping of murdered bodies and local legends regarding all kinds of evil doings.

I do wonder though, if the Stocksbridge townsfolk were worried about the bypass taking traffic and business away from the town and the 'ghostly Monk legend' was 'created' to promote tourism and visitors ?

We have rural towns here in Oz where they have lost business to highway bypass's and have resorted to all kinds of stunts and marketing to drive some of the lost traffic and revenue back to some of these towns.

Anyway, all very thought provoking and interesting.

Cheers,

Kev.

Edited by KevinHodges

what a load of rubbish,its all in the mind,they don't exist and I have never seen one.

its often the trick of light or in the mind,sorry but to me its silly.

what a load of rubbish,its all in the mind,they don't exist and I have never seen one.

its often the trick of light or in the mind,sorry but to me its silly.

I've never seen one either.

For all the people who are dead and die every day, there should be millions of ghosts haunting the world.

I try to keep an open mind and just enjoy the stories and legends for what they are. A bit of entertainment and some good yarns.

Cheers,

Kev.

PS,

What the Stocksbridge council should do is erect a 40ft tall fibreglass and wood framed monk in the middle of the town that you can walk inside with all sorts of trinkets and souveniers to purchase. We have such things here, like the Big Pineapple ! :)

Edited by KevinHodges