Sheffield Ghost Stories & Sightings

Why is it that people who already believe in ghosts keep on seeing them...whilst those that don't never do?

Supposition on your part.

Where is the single tree on the green at the David Wilson lodge moor housing estate is it past the children’s play area at the back ? I had a ride up there the other day the green on the left as you go in has a few trees so this can’t be the location of sightings

Odd that we're allowed to make jokes on other threads...but not on this.

Why is that? Are conspiracy theories and the like also to be taken deadly seriously on sheffield forum? Every thread has it's element of people pointing out absurdities...why is a thread in which people are speculatin about all sorts of unprovable supernatural tales to be taken so seriously?

There are people giving oit their mobile numbers on public forums to form 'investigative' teams- how utterly bizaare.

Because theres a big difference between making jokes and poking fun at people.

As stated before, if you want to start a thread discussing whether ghosts do or dont exist then feel free to do so.

Thank you.

I didn't see any apparently recently deleted posts, but I must respond to this point:

...As stated before, if you want to start a thread discussing whether ghosts do or dont exist then feel free to do so.

Thank you.

This thread has been trundling along since 2004, with several interesting plunges throughout its 52 pages into discussions about whether or not ghosts exist. This has included conversations about perception, psychology, belief and so on, all essential and obvious counterpoints to spooky anecdotes for anyone with a genuine interest in the subject.

We had a similar discussion way back when, when a paranormal interest group was proposed and rejected, when it was concluded that a group of that nature, and hence forum threads concerning the 'supernatural', should not exclude contributions from those with a more rational perspective. Please don't attempt to exclude that aspect of the discussion from this thread now.

Thats all totally fine Hecate, the point is that we dont allow personal comments and ridiculing of people because of their beliefs on this or any other thread.

Its a very interesting topic, and I think that this thread has actually been merged more than a few times over the years, but as the title states, its fundamentally for stories and sightings, its definitely not for people that dont believe to poke fun at the people that do.

Thats all fine Hecate, the point is that we dont allow personal comments and ridiculing of people because of their beliefs on this or any other thread.

Its a very interesting topic, and I think that this thread has actually been merged more than a few times over the years, but as the title states, its fundamentally for stories and sightings, its definitely not for people that dont believe to poke fun at the people that do.

I'll give you a few examples:

If someone posts an anecdote about ghostly orbs and goes on to suggest that they are the physical manifestations of departed spirits, it's entirely reasonable for someone else to propose the rational explanation that those orbs are actually artefacts of digital photography.

If someone posts an anecdote about a ghostly hooded figure and speculates about its origin, it's entirely reasonable for someone else to counter any spooky explanations with an observation about perception and cognitive bias.

If someone posts about their ghost investigation group and the scientific tools they use to identify spooks, it's entirely reasonable for someone who's also interested in science, but who has a more rational perspective on ghost investigation, to join in the discussion.

The fact that this thread has been merged with others over the years illustrates the redundancy of attempting to separate the subject into different threads; you can't discuss rational explanations for ghost sightings without including the initial discussion about the ghosts in question.

As for poking fun: of course moderate the comments if they descend into personal attacks. That's an entirely different matter. Don't attempt to exclude contributions to the thread from people with a genuine interest in the subject under discussion.

Odd that over many years and loads of posts, no concrete evidense of any type of ghostie or ghooly has been shown to be proved. I will leave it at that, I don't want folk to think I am laughing at their beliefs.

Angel1.

all people have a right to there beliefs in my opinion,i find this intresting,although i am a doubter,but that could change with this thread?

............................should not exclude contributions from those with a more rational perspective. Please don't attempt to exclude that aspect of the discussion from this thread now.

and it is comments like that which ought to exclude some people from taking part in a discussion as their mind it seems is already closed. they should not enter discussion........ they should instead just blog their view or diatribe, either or both could be right dependent upon the view of the reader.so we can all ignore it more easily

i'm not stating the case for or against what is often termed the super-natural what i object to is one side or both claiming to have ...a more rational perspective. there is much that the scientific world has as yet failed to explain, which does not mean that they won't nor does it mean that they will. it does however not mean mean that they are the only people looking at things and events rationally.

and it is comments like that which ought to exclude some people from taking part in a discussion as their mind it seems is already closed. they should not enter discussion........ they should instead just blog their view or diatribe, either or both could be right dependent upon the view of the reader.so we can all ignore it more easily

i'm not stating the case for or against what is often termed the super-natural what i object to is one side or both claiming to have ...a more rational perspective. there is much that the scientific world has as yet failed to explain, which does not mean that they won't nor does it mean that they will. it does however not mean mean that they are the only people looking at things and events rationally.

Oh no that isn't how it works at all. Something is not right or not depending on the view of the reader. Facts are facts, regardless of whether people accept them or not.

Edited by Robin-H

There was a thread 2005 about sightings at 25 Fairleigh. I did put a reply on. We used to live at 23 and we used to see a dark hooded figure walk past the kitchen window. It would frighten my mother so much that since then we never had kitchen curtains open even when we moved. I had seen the figure, I would have only been 4 at the time. I still think about it and wonder who or what it was. It would have had to climb or pass through the privet hedges.