Sheffield Ghost Stories & Sightings

I can't see your post doing any good Hecate, well put though.

A great big no, once again, to the notion of excluding those with opposing views from contributing to a thread on an open discussion forum. For a subject such as this it leads to the preposterous situation where the claims of 'mediums', for example, would go unchallenged.

The common call of the true believer is that those who offer explanations for 'paranormal' phenomena which contradict their own dearly held beliefs and consequent interpretations are all closed-minded. There's nothing more closed-minded than seeking to not only actively exclude some potential contributors to the discussion, but to steadfastly maintain that unexplained = paranormal.

I've been interested in folklore, legends, mythology and 'ghosts' for many years. While the anecdotes and stories are interesting and entertaining, what's absolutely fascinating are the psychological and physiological concepts and mechanisms that seek to account for them.

I'm sure all contributors are sufficiently confident in their views, and the evidence they've gathered to support those views, that they can stand to have a bit of sceptical light shone on them from time to time.

Post of the year so far for me. Nail bang on the head.

A great big no, once again, to the notion of excluding those with opposing views from contributing to a thread on an open discussion forum. For a subject such as this it leads to the preposterous situation where the claims of 'mediums', for example, would go unchallenged.

The common call of the true believer is that those who offer explanations for 'paranormal' phenomena which contradict their own dearly held beliefs and consequent interpretations are all closed-minded. There's nothing more closed-minded than seeking to not only actively exclude some potential contributors to the discussion, but to steadfastly maintain that unexplained = paranormal.

I've been interested in folklore, legends, mythology and 'ghosts' for many years. While the anecdotes and stories are interesting and entertaining, what's absolutely fascinating are the psychological and physiological concepts and mechanisms that seek to account for them.

I'm sure all contributors are sufficiently confident in their views, and the evidence they've gathered to support those views, that they can stand to have a bit of sceptical light shone on them from time to time.

We just want to read ghost stories!! not peoples opinions :hihi:

Go start a new thread

Edited by Chelle-82

We just want to read ghost stories!!

https://goo.gl/NazMxt.

not peoples opinions :hihi:

Your apparently ghost-friendly chums appear to disagree:

Yes very interesting I hope other people watch the video would love to hear their views on it

I'd like other users opinions too.

A few ghostly looking figures definitely walk/run behind the guy.

Someone should setup some motion activated cameras up there and run them for a month or so and see what they capture.

Go start a new thread

This one's been chugging along quite nicely since 2004 with many and varied contributions from a wide range of people. If you want to dictate who is and isn't welcome to add their views to a thread, go start a private Facebook group.

https://goo.gl/NazMxt.

Your apparently ghost-friendly chums appear to disagree:

This one's been chugging along quite nicely since 2004 with many and varied contributions from a wide range of people. If you want to dictate who is and isn't welcome to add their views to a thread, go start a private Facebook group.

I was just having a giggle..

Pull your head out of your bum and stop being so serious..

I was just having a giggle..

Pull your head out of your bum and stop being so serious..

Aw, there's no need to be all upset and prickly :) . I'm glad the new thread idea was a silly joke. Good to know.

Aw, there's no need to be all upset and prickly :) . I'm glad the new thread idea was a silly joke. Good to know.

Hahaa im not :hihi:

Moving on from the daft detour...

Here's yet another example of how perception and subjective interpretation work to conjure up something potentially spooky. Relevant bits bolded:

My partner and I were travelling along this stretch of road very early one morning on our way to Manchester airport, it was light about 6am, I was sat in passenger seat and just happened to see out of corner of my eye what I thought was a guy walking in the side of the rd but not on the rd, the other side of barrier in the grassy bit, he was wearing a hoody and that’s all I recall as we had obviously gone past in a split second.

I said to my partner how odd where on earth is he going/come from at this time in the morning, no houses, shops factories or anything nearby.......he wasn’t jogging or running, just walking, very bizarre I thought.

A hooded figure glimpsed very quickly out of the corner of the eye in suboptimal lighting conditions.

Possible explanations from the last time this came up.

This:

Even with all our research and science the human race still only comprehends 4% of the universe.

Not saying that proves ghosts exist -but goes some way to demonstrate that people can be a bit arrogant in terms of what we do and don’t know about certain things.

Is not the same as this:

Guest makapaka
This:

Is not the same as this:

Why’s that?

Moving on from the daft detour...

Here's yet another example of how perception and subjective interpretation work to conjure up something potentially spooky. Relevant bits bolded:

A hooded figure glimpsed very quickly out of the corner of the eye in suboptimal lighting conditions.

Possible explanations from the last time this came up.

Could the man in the hoodie have been jogging ?