Sheffield Ghost Stories & Sightings

what a load of rubbish they don't exist and never have,show us the evidence and we may believe ,but no proof,so don't exsist end of for me.

well at the moment iam investigating this, and find it most interesting

Maybe not ghosts they could be spirits

In this case, have you had any experience with spirits in Sheffield?

In this case, have you had any experience with spirits in Sheffield?

Sir Robin of Locksley Gin is pretty good.

Ghosties and Ghoulies, all in the mind of believers.

Angel1.

I just signed up here as I recently discovered the Stocksbridge bypass hauntings.

How fascinating.!

I am in Australia and we have a similar stretch of 'supposedly' haunted road, the Wakehurst Parkway that runs from the beachside suburb of Narrabeen to Frenchs Forest in Sydney, NSW.

The area of that road, around a place called 'Deep Creek' is the hotspot.

Lot's of road fatalities over the years and drivers reporting ghostly figures appearing in the back seat as they drive. Mostly concerning a young woman dressed in white.

Also the site of murders, dumping of murdered bodies and local legends regarding all kinds of evil doings.

I do wonder though, if the Stocksbridge townsfolk were worried about the bypass taking traffic and business away from the town and the 'ghostly Monk legend' was 'created' to promote tourism and visitors ?

We have rural towns here in Oz where they have lost business to highway bypass's and have resorted to all kinds of stunts and marketing to drive some of the lost traffic and revenue back to some of these towns.

Anyway, all very thought provoking and interesting.

Cheers,

Kev.

Edited by KevinHodges

what a load of rubbish,its all in the mind,they don't exist and I have never seen one.

its often the trick of light or in the mind,sorry but to me its silly.

what a load of rubbish,its all in the mind,they don't exist and I have never seen one.

its often the trick of light or in the mind,sorry but to me its silly.

I've never seen one either.

For all the people who are dead and die every day, there should be millions of ghosts haunting the world.

I try to keep an open mind and just enjoy the stories and legends for what they are. A bit of entertainment and some good yarns.

Cheers,

Kev.

PS,

What the Stocksbridge council should do is erect a 40ft tall fibreglass and wood framed monk in the middle of the town that you can walk inside with all sorts of trinkets and souveniers to purchase. We have such things here, like the Big Pineapple ! :)

Edited by KevinHodges

I've never seen one either.

For all the people who are dead and die every day, there should be millions of ghosts haunting the world.

On average around (roughly) 55 million people die every year. So there should be billions of ghosts.

Great site by the way.

I must visit Sheffield one of these days and have a beer or two with the monk!:thumbsup:

The Stocksbridge Bypass hauntings fascinate me simply because of the mythology that surrounds them.

I love watching how people psychologically convince themselves of things because they believe something to be true.

I have several friends who claim that they have seen the children near Pearoyd Lane who (according to 'psychics') are buried in the field there and died in a mining accident.

Only, erm, the original 'account' of the children dancing around the pylon never actually occurred. One of the security guards said a few years ago that this part of the story never happened (although stands by the part about the strange figure) it's purely made up, by who I'm not sure but it got inserted into the story early on.

Further research shows that there was never a mining accident in the immediate area involving children. In fact the only accident involving children that occurred in the area was a horse and cart incident which killed some, but there is no precise location given for this other than 'Stocksbridge'.