Venues in sheffield that pay for cover bands

hi all..i've been tasked with finding pubs that will pay for a cover band. we cover 70s/80s/90s rock songs- green day/sex pistols/blur/oasis/radiohead/kaiser chiefs/REM etc; sing a long stuff for a saturday night out.. we would be grateful for any suggestions

dean

I'd have a look at The Hop in West One - they have cover bands on at the weekends. West Street Live too.

I'd have a look at The Hop in West One - they have cover bands on at the weekends. West Street Live too.

Seconded. WSL is great for cover bands.

cheers guys for your suggestions..it for some friends who wish to expand their gigging base.

Do West St live still insist on you using their PA and sound engineer and then charge you out of your fee for the pleasure.

Do West St live still insist on you using their PA and sound engineer and then charge you out of your fee for the pleasure.

In the years I've been playing there they've never done that. You're thinking of somewhere else that I won't name.

You use their PA but it's a welcome relief to us as it's a night off from lugging our 3k rig around.

In the years I've been playing there they've never done that. You're thinking of somewhere else that I won't name.

You use their PA but it's a welcome relief to us as it's a night off from lugging our 3k rig around.

No I'm thinking of the right venue where they knocked the engineers fee out of our gig money with no option not to use.

We had our own engineer and system but weren't allowed to use either.

No I'm thinking of the right venue where they knocked the engineers fee out of our gig money with no option not to use.

We had our own engineer and system but weren't allowed to use either.

There's more to that story I'm 100% certain.

When was this?

Just to clarify, we insist that cover bands use our house engineers as understandably we're not letting anyone we don't know use our £35,000 PA system, however the cover band fees and engineer wages are entirely mutually exclusive. Not sure on what arrangements the previous owner made with cover bands but that was over 6 years ago.

that's a highly unusually practice in my experience Jared. does your insurance not cover accidental damage? what if, just supposing, a band of the stature of Radiohead turned up. would you insist on them using your sound engineer? how about if it was a band like 'allusondrugs'; a band on their way up that have a following and want to put on the best show for their fans?

that's a highly unusually practice in my experience Jared. does your insurance not cover accidental damage? what if, just supposing, a band of the stature of Radiohead turned up. would you insist on them using your sound engineer? how about if it was a band like 'allusondrugs'; a band on their way up that have a following and want to put on the best show for their fans?

We don't generally work with bands like Radiohead but we'd make an exception for them of course if they wanted to play. When touring bands etc use their own engineer then our house engineer supervises them and if it's judged that they don't know what they're doing then we kick them off (this has happened before). Allusondrugs have actually played WSL loads and Jamal is a long term friend of the venue, they've always used our house engineers in the past but if they played again and wanted to use their own we'd let them because we trust them. As for covers bands on weekends, personally I'd be loath to book one if they wanted to use their own engineer, but we'd talk it through and find out what experience the person they want to use has and if they have any formal or academic qualifications. You'd be surprised how many so called engineers don't even have a basic grasp of physics :-P