Available Dogs For Adoption

Are you looking to do something worthwhile and have decided to rescue a dog? Specifically a German Shepherd? If so Cefni Gsd Rescue is a nationwide rescue and some of the dogs are still with the owners or are in foster but most of them are in kennels. Please check out their website to have a look at all the dogs currently available for adoption. Thank you

Hi, if you have any dogs available that are local to Sheffield area then you can put them on http://www.ineedahome.co.uk a local website with dogs available. Rain Rescue started the site, but Liam runs it and will add you if you wish to go on. Hope you get lots of good homes for them.

Sheffield dogpound always has dogs in there as well that need homes

Hope you get good homes for some of these dogs.

We got a rescue GSD last September. I used to be wary of rescue dogs thinking there was something wrong with the dog for someone to give them up. Our dog is very strong willed so does need lots of training and attention but he is the most amazing dog and has improved so much. It does bring me to tears when I think that such a fantastic dog could have been PTS just because his owner didn't train him properly.

Thank you and I can understand where you are coming from. Many people feel the same but I think rescue dogs are more appreciative especially when they've come out of a home where they were shown no love. Yes some do have problems but with the right training , patience, love and attention it's brilliant to see the turn around from a dog who was terrified of humans and wouldn't come near you to a dog who won't leave your side and just wants to give you a slobby kiss

Ours wasn't afraid. A trainer / dog breeder friend of my husbands took the dog in as a rescue two months previously to asses and train him. Someone who was supposed to be a dog trainer had failed to help the original owner control him. I think they got themselves into trouble by not training him from a pup.

The first few months he was so uncontrollably excited when we put the lead on and took him for a walk in the fields. I wasn't strong enough to handle him to pull him to heel. He had good recall and was so brilliant with our GSD pup who wasn't quite a year old so I knew there was hope. He didn't even know the basics such a sit or down but he did have great recall and was brilliant around other dogs and people.

He is a big cuddly softy, loves to be fussed but does love training. I dodn't think they did much with him. He runs about a lot and has put on so much muscle since we have had him. He is very focused when we give him commands to find something or any other training. He loves bite work training and people can't believe that he can switch from a cuddly pet to working dog.

Time and patience and a little understanding is what they need. Some people don't understand that sometimes as they think things will happen overnight and then bounce the dog back to the kennels which sets the dog back even more. Very pleased you have taken the time to allow yours to settle down and now he's a part of your family. Rescuing a dog is very rewarding for both the dog and the family who adopt them

Rescue dogs are no different to any dog - they are just dogs that were sold or given to the wrong owner. Just like any relationship - all parties have to do their thing but in the human/dog relationship - dogs do what dogs do - its humans that have lost the plot.

What I'm saying is that a rescue dog is just a dog - on the rebound. Whenever people get it right, and understand 'dog' the dog does what the dog does. Very Very rarely do we see problem dogs - just mis-understood dogs born into a throw away society.

Thank goodness some people still understand them enough to realise what to do.

Any dog no matter where they've come from in the wrong hands can have problems and if people are willing to rescue which comes with help and advice I'd rather rescue and adopt than get a dog off gumtree where so many people lie just to quickly get rid of their dog if you know what I mean

---------- Post added 18-01-2015 at 23:05 ----------

I have just liked your page on facebook so I will share the dogs as I'm in a fair few groups where the dogs can be posted and run a page for dogs over 5

I love GSDs they have always been my favourite dogs. Ours is 13 now and vet says is on borrowed time due to the nerves in her back legs and hips going. We have a huge decision to make soon about her, which I am dreading. :cry: I always used to say while they were growing up once they have gone I would love to look after older rescue dogs, so they don't have to spend their last few years in a kennel. But after losing our staffy x bull in 2013 I wouldn't consider ever having another one. And now we're about to lose our old lass. We will just have the 5 year old one then, but she doesn't get on with other dogs if she's 1 -1.

Good luck in finding forever homes for them. Kara is a beauty she is my favourite

Edited by 172-125

Aww bless you I'm very sorry to hear that. It's heartbreaking isn't it. And thank you