Over 70 Red Deer in Derbyshire location

Out walking yesterday afternoon and was amazed at the number of Deer seen in the space of a couple of hours, approx 70 !

Nice to see such wildlife around, but at current rate of expansion both in numbers and the areas in which they exist, what problems would you say will arise ? Is there a need to cull ?

Do you know of any poaching ? Your thoughts and recent observations please. Can we keep the locations secure, that is not specific. We were close to Foxhouse.

funny that i was walking yesterday at 11am in my local area and from out of some scrubland appeared 6 large what i would have said where roe dear heading straight for me they soon turned and jumped the fence and away they went great to see

Out walking yesterday afternoon and was amazed at the number of Deer seen in the space of a couple of hours, approx 70 !

Nice to see such wildlife around, but at current rate of expansion both in numbers and the areas in which they exist, what problems would you say will arise ? Is there a need to cull ?

Do you know of any poaching ? Your thoughts and recent observations please. Can we keep the locations secure, that is not specific. We were close to Foxhouse.

Not far away at Clay Cross the police are investigating the death of badgers caught in snares.

Snares have also been discovered in Pilsley.

Evil barstuards some Country folk are.

badgers are a hot topic i think at the moment with the spreead of TB

Eastern Moors partnership say there are no plans to cull any Red Deer this year

last year walking along white edge ,and looking towards big moor and eastern moor counted well over 100

Last year we saw three large deer (Red?)at Fox House in the triangle of moor between Hathersage Rd/Stoney Ridge Rd/Owler Bar Rd. They looked nervous and trapped but not panicking. I guess they wandered in overnight. The only time I've seen them there in 30 years so I guess giving the location will not endanger them. Are numbers on a dramatic increase?

Well, God bless Eastern Moors.

I should think b........well not.

And I don't usually swear, but I hate certain attitudes to animal welfare that some humans have

funny that i was walking yesterday at 11am in my local area and from out of some scrubland appeared 6 large what i would have said where roe dear heading straight for me they soon turned and jumped the fence and away they went great to see

Doubt if they were Roe, they are fairly solitary animals, three is usually the maximum seen together, the family consisting of the Doe and her two fawns, or maybe just a single fawn. The Buck keeps himself to himself.

Size wise Roe resemble a large greyhound. If six were seen at once together they would be Reds or maybe Fallow.

Angel1.

:wow:

How lovely! Hope to see some next time I'm over that way :)

Blacka Moor above Dore has become the centre for Red Deer in Sheffield, with quite a large population. The mystery is where they came from as the closest other Red Deer population is at Lyme Park near Stockport on the other side of the Pennines. It's a National Trust property and as far as I know the deer are confined to the deer park there. So how did they arrive in Sheffield in the last 20 or so years?

There's plenty of information on them on the Blacka Moor log, written by someone who has plenty of issues with the whole 'countryside management industry', but which is very informative and useful -

http://theblackamoorsite.blogspot.co.uk/

Well, God bless Eastern Moors.

I should think b........well not.

And I don't usually swear, but I hate certain attitudes to animal welfare that some humans have

But great big herds of deer can do a lot of damage to other animals habitats.