"Easter egger" chicken wanted

Just an update guys. I got in touch with the lady who Elizabeth recommended and I got 3 gorgeous araucana bantams (blue egg layers) at around 8months old for £5 each. They've just started laying and the eggs are lovely! Would highly recommend buying from her xx

Edited by PamperedPets

You have a bargain! Happy chicken keeping!

I very much doubt they are 8 months old for that price though unless they are giving up poultry keeping and want rid of them. Pure Araucanas lay a striking turquoise blue egg, much more vivid than the pale blue or blue/green laid by Cream Legbars. Quality birds are rare so are highly sought after and command a high price.

I know they were a fab bargain. She has a flock of her own that she gets fertile eggs from then lets local schools hatch them for free. She lends then the incubator and brooder etc. Then once they've done I think she sells most of the chickens ready for the next lot coming in as she'd never have space for them all. She's really lovely and does it just because she's nice and likes the kids to learn. The hens are lovely though and really good quality healthy birds and are just coming into their first lay. Would absolutely recommend any first time chicken keepers getting in touch with her xx

Unfortunately you cannot contact her again for the time being, pampered pets.

Sadly she has had a very tragic incident where a fox got in. Needless to say only one or two survived :-(

It's been a very heartbreaking time for her, but as you can guess she won't have any now. She put so much time and love into those.. Just tragic. From now on I think she's going to concentrate on particular hens that are smaller that she feels she can keep safer.

Last I heard, she was only rehoming 3 to very good homes only..

- One Araucana x" hen (laying blue eggs, 2014 hatch)

- Cuckoo Rumpless hen with Red Rumpless Cockerel (single tuft) MUST GO AS A PAIR. Both very friendly and despite the cockerels big size, he's like a puppy dog

- one black araucana cockerel

Edited by Elizabeth13

oh what terrible news! She must be devastated - please pass on my deepest sympathies. I am very fond of foxes AND hens but when the two collide its deadly. I hope sometime in the future she will feel she can start again, she sounds a very caring breeder.

So sorry for her. It's every poultry keepers nightmare. I have seen coops broken in to by either foxes or badgers. One of my smallholder friends had one of those 'cheap' coops in addition to more professional, more robust coops. It was fairly new but was smashed up as if it were matchwood.

Hope she manages to restock or get good quality hatching eggs to set her up for next year.

So sorry for her. It's every poultry keepers nightmare. I have seen coops broken in to by either foxes or badgers. One of my smallholder friends had one of those 'cheap' coops in addition to more professional, more robust coops. It was fairly new but was smashed up as if it were matchwood.

Hope she manages to restock or get good quality hatching eggs to set her up for next year.

One chick has hatched from the incubator ;-)