Mis judged by employer's

Employers look for experience and qualifications. You seem to be lacking in both, at least in recent times. You're competing against a lot of people with up to date skills.

Raynor said she had looked for a cleaning job, I would say that running an household with three kids is all the experience and qualification she needs.

Raynor when you do fill in your application make sure you include all your work experience and that includes running and cleaning your house, being a parent is work and gives you valuable experience.

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 13:12 ----------

You're Unique selling points would be that you have held a Senior Management role for Thirteen years, and that you have Excellent Multitasking Skill's with a "Can Do Attitude", and that you can "Cope Under Pressure" within a Very Demanding and Changing Environment.

Excellent post.

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 13:14 ----------

If I'm looking for an employee and I've got two people, one of whom has not worked for 13 years and one whose got a lot of recent employment guess which I'm going to pick? That's simple common sense. Yes I know it's sucky but thats the way it's always been and always will be.

So how do you fix it? Experience - get some, which I admit isn't easy. But anything counts that shows you are prepared to put effort in and TBH volunteering shows a very motivated individual that stands you in good stead.

So you've had kids and raised them - volunteer for the Scouts or Guides. Do some work in charity shops for counter services. Does the village hall need a caretaker and cleaner? What about help for the elderly - Age concern are often looking for people to help them with meal services, library runs etc.

What are your IT skills like? Volunteer to teach silver surfers how to use a computer - libraries often need help like this. Also shows you have good IT skills.

Good luck and hope you find something soon.

She has been working for 13 years, three kids and an house is a full time job and any employer that ignores this must be a bit of a numpty.

..... and any employer that ignores this must be a bit of a numpty.
the employer may not have ignored it, he just has a big pool to choose from and others may be more qualified to hit the job running.

Now if she were the only candidate, that's a different story

She has been working for 13 years, three kids and an house is a full time job and any employer that ignores this must be a bit of a numpty.

Not at all.

Many jobs require training and knowledge of a product/service/technique or similar. It's very common that such skills develop, and certainly over the last 13 years, there would have likely been a change. The harsh reality is that someone in the industry for the last 13 years would be aware of, and up to date with those changes. 13 years at home would likely equate to no knowledge of them.

There's countless examples, from new tools or equipment that's been introduced, to new legal issues or training issues and so on.

The harsh reality is that employers would take two identical candidates, and would generally choose the one with least training requirements.

I was not say that she should get the job over someone else, just pointing out that she should include the experience of running an household when asked for relevant experience. Some people when asked what experience they have will forget or not think of mentioning experience that was not gained whilst in paid employment.

I was not say that she should get the job over someone else, just pointing out that she should include the experience of running an household when asked for relevant experience. Some people when asked what experience they have will forget or not think of mentioning experience that was not gained whilst in paid employment.

so contrary to your previous post, it has nothing to do with an employer being a numpty - that was somewhat irrelevant or unfair. What you are now saying is that she should include all her relevant experience, which I agree is a fair comment.

The way into experience is to contact agencys and see what they can offer you.They are much more flexible than a full time employer would be.

so contrary to your previous post, it has nothing to do with an employer being a numpty - that was somewhat irrelevant or unfair. What you are now saying is that she should include all her relevant experience, which I agree is a fair comment.

If an employer completely dismisses the experience then yes in my opinion they are numpties.

It's of no direct relevance and with two candidates, one of whom is in employment, and has current experience in the field, then the experienced one is always going to get the job all things being equal. If you think otherwise then I'm afraid you are the numpty - you might not like it but that's the way it is.

It's of no direct relevance and with two candidates, one of whom is in employment, and has current experience in the field, then the experienced one is always going to get the job all things being equal. If you think otherwise then I'm afraid you are the numpty - you might not like it but that's the way it is.

Its very relevant for a cleaning job, 13 years of experience cleaning an house with three kids in it, verses six months working as a cleaner in a factory, now if I had an hotel and wanted a cleaner I would probably favour the person with 13 years experience, to simply dismiss them because they have no paid work experience would be daft.

Its very relevant for a cleaning job, 13 years of experience cleaning an house with three kids in it, verses six months working as a cleaner in a factory, now if I had an hotel and wanted a cleaner I would probably favour the person with 13 years experience, to simply dismiss them because they have no paid work experience would be daft.

You don't have to have good timekeeping to be able to clean you own home..you can do it to a standard that's Ok for you but might not be good enough in the commercial world you can sit and have a break whenever you want to at home..etcetc...house keeping and commercial cleaning aren't the same for lots of reasons..

making the assumption that all mothers are good at cleaning is just stupid lol

You don't have to have good timekeeping to be able to clean you own home..you can do it to a standard that's Ok for you but might not be good enough in the commercial world you can sit and have a break whenever you want to at home..etcetc...house keeping and commercial cleaning aren't the same for lots of reasons..

You need good time keeping to get three kids ready for school and then take them to school.

The cleaning standards for a factory are likley to be lower than for an hotel, and an home is more similar to an hotel than a factory.

Most factory cleaners work unsupervised so they too can take a break whenever they want.

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 15:45 ----------

making the assumption that all mothers are good at cleaning is just stupid lol

I agree with this, its down to the individual to express to the potencial employer about how clean they keep their home.