Mis judged by employer's

I understand that. However, as you will see written in the original post, the OP mentions being on benefits on this occasion. Hence my reply.

There is a lass lives near me. On benefits, bringing up four kids. Council house etc, new one, just finished giving her a hand decorating it.

A year ago she was working part time and her hubby was helping her. That's before he did her over and put her in hospital. Living on benefits and being is single mother is not necessarily a lifestyle choice despite what the Daily Mail would have you think.

There is a lass lives near me. On benefits, bringing up four kids. Council house etc, new one, just finished giving her a hand decorating it.

A year ago she was working part time and her hubby was helping her. That's before he did her over and put her in hospital. Living on benefits and being is single mother is not necessarily a lifestyle choice despite what the Daily Mail would have you think.

I'm sorry about what happened to her, my dad also beat my mum up throughout my whole childhood, put her in hospital on a few occasions. However, I don't see how that would stop you from working. My mum still worked. But trying to keep on track, my comments were in response to the OP's specific situation. I'm aware that there will always be numerous mitigating circumstances, but my response was in relation to not working and being on benefits just because you have kids, and then expecting society to do you a favour by giving you a job when you have no experience.

volunteering work doesn't pay the bills. Ring round the agencys,its the only way into a lot of jobs nowadays.

Nobody said it does, but it provides valuable experience and helps fill in gaps on CVs.

Raynor said she had looked for a cleaning job, I would say that running an household with three kids is all the experience and qualification she needs.

Raynor when you do fill in your application make sure you include all your work experience and that includes running and cleaning your house, being a parent is work and gives you valuable experience.

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 13:12 ----------

Excellent post.

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 13:14 ----------

She has been working for 13 years, three kids and an house is a full time job and any employer that ignores this must be a bit of a numpty.

I wouldn't employ anyone that hasn't worked for 13yrs over someone who has been working and has experience. IF I did, it would purely be because that person bowled me over with their attitude and personality.

Just because you have children doesn't mean you can't work! why not work part time whilst raising children? This means you are flexible for your children's needs and also means you keep your experience topped up for future potential jobs.

Whilst I absolutely agree that looking after kids feels like a full time job, in reality it isn't. It doesn't bring in the money and when all is said and done you've lost out on experience in the working world and then this happens, it's difficult to get a job.

Keep on looking though and don't get to downhearted, something will crop up and taking other posters advice on getting some qualifications and doing voluntary work will bode well for you.

I wouldn't employ anyone that hasn't worked for 13yrs over someone who has been working and has experience. IF I did, it would purely be because that person bowled me over with their attitude and personality.

But she has worked and the work she did was very likley much harder and more diverse than someone in paid employment.

Just because you have children doesn't mean you can't work! why not work part time whilst raising children? This means you are flexible for your children's needs and also means you keep your experience topped up for future potential jobs.

That's right you could employ a child minder, but ultimately someone has to care for them.

Whilst I absolutely agree that looking after kids feels like a full time job, in reality it isn't. It doesn't bring in the money and when all is said and done you've lost out on experience in the working world and then this happens, it's difficult to get a job.

I agree it does not bring in money, but it does save you spending money on child care, it means you have more quality time with your kids, and how many hours you spend cleaning, and caring for the kids rather depends on how many hours you want to spend cleaning, and caring for the kids, everyone is different so what you deem to be enough time might no be enough time for someone else.

Edited by anfisa

But she has worked and the work she did was very likley much harder and more diverse than someone in paid employment.

Lots (most?) of people in paid employment have kids...so they're doing a "normal" job and looking after kids/cleaning the house etcetc as well...