Shock Horror! A thread to PRAISE Veolia!

Was struggling to get rid of my old two piece sofa (no resale value), no charity shop would have it and had been quoted eye watering amounts by private contractors.

That was until I spotted on here on Friday that Veolia offer a bulky waste collection service. So I rang them up, and paid £19.50 to have three items removed! Yes, three! So could get rid of both the pieces of my old sofa plus another item that wouldn't fit in my car!

Was instructed to leave the items outside before 7am this morning, was a bit wary about having such large items cluttering up my front lawn as it looks a bit common, but they had collected by 8am this morning!

So well done Veolia :headbang:

Would recommend anyone to use their service rather than the man and van types that trawl these boards and charge a fortune :D

Was struggling to get rid of my old two piece sofa (no resale value), no charity shop would have it and had been quoted eye watering amounts by private contractors.

That was until I spotted on here on Friday that Veolia offer a bulky waste collection service. So I rang them up, and paid £19.50 to have three items removed! Yes, three! So could get rid of both the pieces of my old sofa plus another item that wouldn't fit in my car!

Was instructed to leave the items outside before 7am this morning, was a bit wary about having such large items cluttering up my front lawn as it looks a bit common, but they had collected by 8am this morning!

So well done Veolia :headbang:

Would recommend anyone to use their service rather than the man and van types that trawl these boards and charge a fortune :D

I used a man and van off here a while ago to take me two sofas from one of my student properties to the council tip . he turned up when he said he would and charged me £25 . hardly a "fortune" .

I used a man and van off here a while ago to take me two sofas from one of my student properties to the council tip . he turned up when he said he would and charged me £25 . hardly a "fortune" .

So £12.50 an item then, whereas I paid £6.50. Well done for paying 92% more per item than I did :hihi::hihi:

Also are you sure he took them to the tip? Hmm?

Edited by No User Name

So £12.50 an item then, whereas I paid £6.50. Well done for paying 92% more per item than I did :hihi::hihi:

Also are you sure he took them to the tip? Hmm?

That is not true. He paid £6.50 more than you which is not 92% and Veolia charge same whether it's one. two or three items

That is not true. He paid £6.50 more than you which is not 92% and Veolia charge same whether it's one. two or three items

I paid £19.50 for three items = £6.50 per item

He paid £25 for two items = £12.50 per item

£12.50 is roughly 92% more than £6.50. Therefore he paid 92% more per item than me. 92.3077% to be precise :D

Hope this helps and maybe leave the maths to someone else next time :D

And if they charge the same for one item then they do three, then more fool the people who only shift one item at a time. Do three items and make it more cost effective. Even if they had only shifted two items for me, at £9.75 an item (that is £19.50 divided into two, for the hard of thinking) it is still cheaper than Penistones collection.

Edited by No User Name

If you are a council tenant you can have one free removal of the objects once a year.When I cleared out my brothers house they took away 14 large items for, I think it was something like, £30-00.

If you are a council tenant you can have one free removal of the objects once a year.When I cleared out my brothers house they took away 14 large items for, I think it was something like, £30-00.

Correct, the website specifies this. One collection of up to 12 items free a year. Unfortunately I am not a council tenant, was happy to pay the £19.50 though :D

Correct, the website specifies this. One collection of up to 12 items free a year. Unfortunately I am not a council tenant, was happy to pay the £19.50 though :D

Hmmm... :huh:

... a nice little earner here then for an unscrupulous entrepreneur with a van and his council tenant 'mates' from down the pub... :suspect:

Hmmm... :huh:

... a nice little earner here then for an unscrupulous entrepreneur with a van and his council tenant 'mates' from down the pub... :suspect:

My turn to be thick now - how?

My turn to be thick now - how?

Yes it is! :D

OK, supposing you have a van and advertised to remove someone's rubbish in exchange for payment.

How do you then get rid of the unwanted items legally and for nothing?

Maybe one of your 'mates' from the pub who happens to be a council tenant would be prepared for you to 'store' the unwanted items in his back garden?

When he had enough items 'stored' he might then phone the council to have them legally removed without charge.

The next time you see him in the pub you buy him 'a drink' of course and in return he tells a few more of his 'mates' just what a nice chap you are! ;)

I put ours in the black bin over the course of about 6 weeks. All I used was a hacksaw. Tight or what.