Snake Pass/Woodhead closures

That road is bad even in good weather is rather use woodhead than go over that road lol

Edited by Gooner11
Spelling

Other than the weather which can be an issue,the Snake is my preferred route rather than Woodhead.

The only problem is the drivers who like to practise their rallying skills and the impatient drivers who try to overtake where it's illegal or inappropriate.

You usually see them 3 or 4 cars ahead as you queue through Glossop and Mottram.

Other than the weather which can be an issue,the Snake is my preferred route rather than Woodhead.

The only problem is the drivers who like to practise their rallying skills and the impatient drivers who try to overtake where it's illegal or inappropriate.

You usually see them 3 or 4 cars ahead as you queue through Glossop and Mottram.

I drive over the snake quite a lot, I invariably find someone driving along at 40, down to 30 for the corners.

On the other hand, I was overtaken multiple times on Friday night whilst doing 50 with snow visibly settling on the road...

What Sheffield needs is a large gantry indicator sign nearer than Ladybower!

Maybe one at the bottom of Manchester Road? Or where the A57 meets Rivelin Valley Road?

Maybe one at the bottom of Manchester Road? Or where the A57 meets Rivelin Valley Road?

They used to put a sign out on Rivelin Valley Rd near the junction with Watersmeet rd in the 80's telling you if the Snake pass was closed because of snow.

There used to be a temporary sign put out at the bottom of Manchester Road. I don't know if they still do, as I rarely pass that way now. As Manchester Road is no longer the recommended route for the A57, maybe they put signs on Penistone Road.

Does anyone know if they ever put the information on the matrix signs on the ring road?

Would someone be kind enough to get me upto speed? (I'm not native to Sheff)

Glossop as in Glossop road?

And is snake pass the same as snake road?

Would someone be kind enough to get me upto speed? (I'm not native to Sheff)

Glossop as in Glossop road?

And is snake pass the same as snake road?

Glossop as in the town roughly half way between Sheffield and Manchester, on the A57 road.

The snake pass as in the winding road between Ladybower Reservoir and Glossop, officially called the A57.

Fun Fact. The Snake Inn and the Snake Pass are so called because of one of the insignias of one of the Dukes of Devonshire (big local landowner), which was/is a curled up serpent, in a sort of figure of eight knot.

Edit. Glossop Road is so called because it was once the road heading towards Glossop. Ditto for Manchester Road, London Road, Halifax Road etc. Glossop Road is no longer the "official" road towards Glossop, although many people in the right area of town would still use it.

As an aside. If you look at old photos of Sheffield City centre, say from the 60s or earlier, all the major through routes are via the city centre. No ring road or motorway at that time. The main through routes were the A61 for North-South, and A57 for East-West, with a few other routes as well.

Edited by Eater Sundae

There used to be a temporary sign put out at the bottom of Manchester Road. I don't know if they still do, as I rarely pass that way now. As Manchester Road is no longer the recommended route for the A57, maybe they put signs on Penistone Road.

Part of the problem is that:

a. the A57 is a 'County' trunk road [= within the care of Derbyshire County Council]; so

b. DCC's writ does not percolate into SY, and SY Police does not always seem to liaise sufficiently with DCC's re road closures; and

c. just to complicate things, the A628 is a 'proper' trunk route within the care of the Highways Agency- which does not acknowledge the alternative A57 route's equivalence.

The Snake, Woodhead, and M62 are the main roads from Shefield to Manchester, and all three have to cross over the Pennines, so Woodhead and Snake are often closed by snow in bad weather. Even the M62 has had to close occasionally.