Morrisons: Local Closures?

It will be a little while before the stores are announced and will probably be stores that have been taken over from other brands and do not fit the business model

If any Morrison's store in Sheffield was going to be closed I'd be inclined to think it would be at Halfway. Since Asda opened at Drakehouse the store is nowhere near as busy as it used to be. Factor in the opening of Aldi in Killamarsh and the existing Sainsbury's at Crystal Peaks there is plenty of competition for customers, and Morrison's is the one that appears to be losing out.

Personally I wouldnt miss them a bit, crap meat, old veg, the worst bread I've ever had and a thoroughly depressing shopping experience. The management structure seems 'top heavy' and I believe they are not good people to work for.

I think the meat and fish there is generally better than at Tesco and Asda.

I've not ever had any bad stuff from there.

Still prefer to go to the local butchers when I can.

I think the meat and fish there is generally better than at Tesco and Asda.

I've not ever had any bad stuff from there.

Still prefer to go to the local butchers when I can.

Morrisons still employ qualified butchers in their stores. Having retired from one of them after 20yrs service I can only feel sorry for the people it will effect.At the AGM the board could have brought in a vote of no confidence and Dalton Phillps would have gone six months ago. Now they are running the stores on so many different formats that every day is a challenge. On the issue of customer service, if you like the people you work with it reflects in the job. The store I was at had the same customers coming back week after week. Think that was particular to the store as they opened more branches they would still come back

Why would Sheffield be singled out when they have stores all over the country with a massive distribution centre and manufacturing base in Bridgwater? Personally I wouldnt miss them a bit, crap meat, old veg, the worst bread I've ever had and a thoroughly depressing shopping experience. The management structure seems 'top heavy' and I believe they are not good people to work for.

I have to say I disagree with this too. In the stores that have had the refit the 'Market Street' line of fresh produce is one of the best available in supermarkets. The 'misters' spraying the herbs etc mean you can get a much better and fresher range than the likes of Tesco, Asda etc. No doubt a proper greengrocer or butcher would be an even better choice but who has time to visit multiple shops these days?

None of the big stores with market streets are closing. None of the convenience outlets are closing. The 10 closures are the stores that don't have the capacity to add the market streets but are also too big to be classed as convenience. Any redundancies will be voluntary initially, the others were possible will be offered jobs elsewhere.

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 13:08 ----------

I have to say I disagree with this too. In the stores that have had the refit the 'Market Street' line of fresh produce is one of the best available in supermarkets. The 'misters' spraying the herbs etc mean you can get a much better and fresher range than the likes of Tesco, Asda etc. No doubt a proper greengrocer or butcher would be an even better choice but who has time to visit multiple shops these days?

True. The idea of supermarkets were set up so you could do all your shopping in one place and not visit multiple shops.

100% correct it is way past time that these supermarkets had some independent competition. well done Aldi and Lidl, just as an after thought, Tesco had to pull out of the U.S because there prices was to high.

Surprising they didn't consider that when they went in.

100% correct it is way past time that these supermarkets had some independent competition. well done Aldi and Lidl, just as an after thought, Tesco had to pull out of the U.S because there prices was to high.

Not just pricing. Interesting article:

http://business.time.com/2013/04/18/tale-of-two-supermarkets-why-fresh-easy-flopped-and-fairway-flies-high/

Morrisons still employ qualified butchers in their stores.

and the bakers as well (my friend is working there as a baker, then he can move to Oz with the experience he's got just from working as a Morissons baker.)

I don't think the fishmonger has any formal qualification, but if you are nice to them they will fillet fish and do stuff for you.

(Case in point, be nice - because I've seen them say no to 'problem' customers, then say yes to someone who's not a complete knob to them.)

---------- Post added 14-01-2015 at 16:30 ----------

So they have huge US style stores in Europe and Tiny Euro stores in the US

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

So far two Yorkshire stores will close.

The Bradford based retailed said the stores in Bransholme, Hull and Ravensthorpe in Huddersfield would close.

Always sad for people to loose there jobs

I was actually told the Ecclesfield store would be closing to be become a warehouse for online deliveries.

They've already got one off upwell street.

I hope it doesn't close as we've finally got some competition in the area and it will be a shame if the Barracks lose their centrepiece. With regards to that store they should try and improve its appeal. I never understood the redesign (when they incorporated Peacocks) that effectively narrowed all/most aisles, another major bugbear is general bad management, the number of times I can't find pricing information on products at all is staggering, not just bad management but also illegal.

who did you report the illegality too and what was the response?