Morrisons: Local Closures?

Maybe its the convenience stores that are going to be axed? The one near me is really expensive and doesn't run any of the offers that they advertise on TV.

On a similar topic, have Tesco announced which 40-odd stores they are closing yet?

All this is good news to me big supermarkets tried to corner the market and have fleeced the customers for years, the prices are ridiculous. Unfortunately at the time that these greedy conglomerates were increasing prices Aldi came along and gave people a viable alternative that they have flocked to.

It is rumoured that one of the possible hit list stores is the Hillsborough one. I find this difficult to believe - I use it regularly and it always seems busy - but it may be that a store of that size, and design, has large overheads.

Anyone have any concrete news, not just rumours?

Might be busy Sugar Tiler, but does it make money? That's what it's all about these days, not serving the public.

:(:(

All this is good news to me big supermarkets tried to corner the market and have fleeced the customers for years, the prices are ridiculous. .

Yes, because corner shop prices are much much cheaper :rolleyes:

Might be busy Sugar Tiler, but does it make money? That's what it's all about these days, not serving the public.

:(:(

Since when have businesses been run on the lines of serving the public, rather than making money? Libraries serve the public. Supermarkets make money.

All this is good news to me big supermarkets tried to corner the market and have fleeced the customers for years, the prices are ridiculous. Unfortunately at the time that these greedy conglomerates were increasing prices Aldi came along and gave people a viable alternative that they have flocked to.

Lidl as well top. We don't have an Aldi but do have a Lidl, and boy, have the others suffered!!!

---------- Post added 13-01-2015 at 12:51 ----------

Since when have businesses been run on the lines of serving the public, rather than making money? Libraries serve the public. Supermarkets make money.

And how!!!

:)

I cant imagine a supermarket building is going to be logistically the best building to use for a warehouse operation, so I am calling bull on that rumour.

the rumour was it'd be a warehouse operation for home deliveries - If that's just for the local area (which they usually are) I can't see why they'd be much more HGV traffic than at present? You'd have more deliveries going out by van but no walk in staff so the amount of goods the store turns over wouldn't increase massively if at all.

100% correct it is way past time that these supermarkets had some independent competition. well done Aldi and Lidl, just as an after thought, Tesco had to pull out of the U.S because there prices was to high.

the rumour was it'd be a warehouse operation for home deliveries - If that's just for the local area (which they usually are) I can't see why they'd be much more HGV traffic than at present? You'd have more deliveries going out by van but no walk in staff so the amount of goods the store turns over wouldn't increase massively if at all.

You would have to convert the entire building to a warehouse, much cheaper and more appropriate buildings exists where this can be done.

You would have to convert the entire building to a warehouse, much cheaper and more appropriate buildings exists where this can be done.

Maybe - or maybe they own the land / have it on long lease so it'd cost money if they closed the store and did nothing with it?

Possibly. Just seems stupid to do what is being suggested, well at least in my opinion.