Sign in to follow this  

Any ladies suffering from thinning hair due to PCOS / hormonal probs?

I was diagnosed with PCOS over 10 years ago and manage to keep most of my symptoms under control by maintaining a healthy weight. This has worked fine until about 10 months ago when I realised my facial and body hair was getting a bit 'wild' but worst of all, my wavy, blonde locks were starting to fall out at the root and becoming thin at the top and sides (I'm only 34)

It's not really noticable just yet (my husband and hairdresser have noticed) but I want to try and find some kind of solution before it gets worse.

The internet is full of lotions and potions but I don't want to waste loads of time and money on something that's no good, and I'm pretty sure if I see my GP he'll want to put me back on the pill. I spent years getting all the fake hormones out of my system and getting everything back on track, so I'd like to find a natural solution if possible.

Any help or suggestions welcome!

I have PCOS - but my hair seems to be thickening rather than thinning.

Are you sure it is due to PCOS?

Well I'm kind of making an assumption. PCOS causes high androgen levels (male hormones) so thinning hair is a common symptom of that...a bit like male pattern baldness, and also explains why we get excessive body and facial hair. I've not had my bloods done for at least 5 years but last time my androgen levels were pretty high.

I can't think what else could be causing it, especially as my other PCOS symptoms are getting worse....my body hair is definitely getting thicker and darker!

If you take Spironatone you dont get the thinning of the hair , I have PCOs and have had this treatment for 20 years now it works really well , Its an older treatment and used a lot in the US , Here i was of offered meformin for it but after my sister who has the same condition told me about Spironatone I asked the Consultant for this , he said it was unusual now but i said I wanted to try as it had worked well for my sister , also I don't get the weight swings or greasy skin like i used to. Try getting a named referal to T C lee hes very good her in sheffield

Thanks teeny, I've seen Professor Li a couple of times in the past, in fact he did my first ovarian drilling operation. I heard that he'd left Sheffield not long ago though? Not sure how true that is.

Obviously I'd like to find a natural method first before resorting to medication but I suppose first step will be to see my GP and see if I can get some blood work done.

Thanks teeny, I've seen Professor Li a couple of times in the past, in fact he did my first ovarian drilling operation. I heard that he'd left Sheffield not long ago though? Not sure how true that is.

Obviously I'd like to find a natural method first before resorting to medication but I suppose first step will be to see my GP and see if I can get some blood work done.

yes thats a good idea on some of the US sites there's a few things we dont have here but search round , I tried a few things many years ago they didnt work and what i take works for both my sister and i